Chapter Thirty-Four

CANDY

"Hey Damon." I greeted as I took the seat beside him in our first period class.

"What do you want?" He sighed, obviously annoyed with my presence.

If only he knew how much it hurt me to know he hated me.

"I have some information I thought you might want to know." I whispered as the teacher started the lesson.

"Okay, what is it?"He asked, a hint of curiosity in his tone, but he was still annoyed.

"I've been told by multiple people that Sophia's cheating on you." I told him, forcing a sympathetic frown. There wasn't actual proof that she was cheating on him, but I was suspicious anyway. She spent way too much time with Garrett, they were obviously more than just friends. And since I cared about Damon so much, I felt like I had to tell him before their relationship got too serious and he ended up hurt. 

With the information I gave him, he'd surly break up with Sophia and then I'd finally have a chance with him. I'd be the one that saved him from an awful relationship and he'd take me out. on a date to thank me for warning him, and then he'd finally see how perfect we are for each other. 

That was all I'd ever dreamt of since the first day I saw him, all the way back in the fourth grade.  I was all alone at recess and I saw that Damon was alone too. He was just sitting by the swing set and staring at two other kids; Dylan and Sophia.

I started walking over to him but he stormed over to Dylan and said something to him, causing Sophia to stomp on his foot and run away with Dylan chasing after her. Damon looked so sad about the situation so I went over and introduced myself. 

"Hi, I'm Candice" I said shyly as I sat down beside him

He looked over at me and smiled, "I'm gonna call you Candy."

No one had ever given me a nickname before. 

We began chatting mindlessly and it wasn't long before he was explaining how Dylan was his best friend and Sophia was the girl he had a crush on, and Dylan was trying to take Sophia away from him. I knew Damon was jealous but he wouldn't admit it. Luckily for me a jealous Damon was a hateful Damon, so he started hating Sophia and blamed her for the tension between Dylan and him.

I became secret friends with Damon after that, and quickly formed a massive crush on him. But everything changed when Dylan left. Damon suddenly decided he didn't want to be friends with me anymore, and to this day I still don't know why. 

But maybe now things could go back to how they used to be. With Sophia out of the way, Damon and I could grow close again, and I could finally tell him how much I liked him.

"Sophia isn't cheating on me." He said confidently.

"She is Damon, I even saw it with my own eyes." I lied. I felt a slight tinge of guilt but I ignored it. I needed to do this.

"What did you see?" He demanded.

"I saw her kissing Garrett in a janitors closet. I was going in there with someone and found them in there." I told him, placing a sympathetic hand on his arm, which he immediately shrugged off. I paid no attention to the sting of rejection it gave me. 

"You're a filthy liar." He hissed, sending me a furious glare, but I knew I was getting to him and the anger wasn't fully directed at me.

I shook my head sadly, "I'm sorry Damon but I'm not lying."

And that's all it took for him to pull out his phone and text Sophia to meet him at lunch.

He was just too easy to manipulate at times, I almost felt bad about what I was doing, but this was for his own good. Sophia wasn't right for him. He needed me, even if he didn't know it yet.