Chapter Four

SOPHIA

"Why are you in such a rush?" Garrett asked as soon as we were on the highway.

"I didn't want to hear Damon's stupid voice." I replied. I knew he'd rub Dylan in my face if I hadn't left fast.

Garrett nodded in understanding and we were quiet for a while as we drove, nothing but the radio to fill the silence.

I started singing along when I recognized the song playing and Garrett looked at me funny.

"What?" I asked in the middle of a lyric. His stare was really starting to creep me out.

"You're an amazing singer." He stated, bringing his eyes back to the road ahead of us.

"Thanks." I replied, not really knowing what else to say. No one other than my parents and Dylan had ever heard me sing. I kept all my musical interests to myself.

I sang along to the songs I knew until we pulled into the parking lot of our destination fifteen minutes later.

Our moods switched from upbeat to solemn in a millisecond.

We walked into the building, a place you never wanted someone you cared about to be in, and signed in at the front desk before making our way to Victoria's room.

We both stood at the threshold of her room, just looking at her little figure.

There, laying in the hospital bed, was the most important person in the world to me, three year old Tori.

I took in her familiar bald head, sickly pale skin, and skinny outline in the blanket. I hated cancer. No one, especially children, should have to go through that.

"Hey princess." I said softly so I wouldn't startle her. She was currently watching her favourite movie Tangled. She always said that when she got better she would have hair just like Repunzle.

"Sophia!" Tori exclaimed in her cute high pitch voice. I walked over and pulled her into a gentle hug.

Just hearing her voice could put me at ease for a day. I always feared that one day I would come in and she wouldn't be able to talk or walk or even open her eyes anymore.

"I brought you a visitor." I told her, pointing at the door where Garrett was still standing.

"Garrett!" She squealed, excitement brightening her greyish green eyes. Eyes so similar to my own. 

Garrett walked over and gave her a hug, whispering something in her ear that made her giggle.

"Mind if we stay and watch a movie with you?" I asked the little ball of sunshine beside me.

"Yes! Yes! Come sit!" She exclaimed.

I loved how she was always so happy and positive. It was impossible to be sad around her.

As Garrett put in the movie Hercules, Tori's second favourite movie, I sat down next to her and got comfortable.

"Have mom and dad visited lately?" I asked.

She nodded her head. "I watched Barbie with mommy and daddy at lunch."

I nodded in approval. I hated the thought of Tori being here alone, what if something bad happened and she was scared and needed us to comfort her.

The opening song to the movie thankfully started, breaking me from my heartbreaking thoughts.

I held her close as we watched the movie and when the ending credits rolled we ate some jello before Garrett and I left. I hated saying goodbye to her, I didn't know how much time we had left together, but Garrett had an important dinner with his family so we couldn't stay any longer.

"She seemed good today." Garrett said as we drove back to my house.

"She has her good and bad days, today was a good one." I agreed.

After that we stopped talking. Victoria's health was not a topic we liked to talk about.

Soon we arrived at my house and I bid Garrett a quick goodbye before exiting his car.

"I'm home!" I yelled to whoever was there when I walked through the door.

When I was only met with silence I trudged up to my room, unfazed my the empty house. I was accustomed to being alone.

I plopped onto my bed and stared at a random spot on my ceiling, thinking about Tori, Dylan, and the project I would have to do with Damon.

But soon enough I got bored and looked around my room for entertainment. My eyes landed on my window, where I saw Dylan and Damon wrestling.

I put a hand over my mouth to muffle my laugh. They were basically just rolling around on the ground except for when they both stood and Damon shouted "R.K.O!" a before slamming Dylan and himself onto the floor. It almost looked painful but neither boy seemed hurt.

Dylan and I used to wrestle all the time, but if we did that now he'd surely crush me.

Eventually they stopped and left Damon's bedroom, taking my only entertainment away, so I decided to go to bed early. I was quite tired, something about seeing Tori in the hospital drained me.

I pulled my blanket over me and my body easily gave into sleep when I shut my eyes. 

- - - - - -

Tap

Tap

What the hell is that?

Tap

I groaned and opened my eyes, turning my head to look at my alarm clock - 3:45 a.m.

Tap

Groaning again, I got up from my comfy, warm, bed and went to my window, where the sound was coming from.

At first I didn't see anything.

I was about to go back to bed and forget about the whole thing when the sound came again as a rock hit my window.

I'm going to kill whoever is throwing rocks at my window at 3:45 in the morning.

I opened my window and prepared to yell at whoever was there but something hit my forehead. Hard.

"Ow!" I hissed at the same time as someone whispered "Shit!"

My vision went blurry and everything went into slow motion. My head was throbbing, I felt my body come into contact with the floor.

Then someone was beside me.

I tried to keep my eyes open but they felt heavy. I eventually gave in, but not before feeling the person pick me up and place me on my bed.

My last thoughts were that the mysterious person smelt oddly familiar.