Chapter Twenty-Seven

SOPHIA

"Dam Dam!" Tori squealed with as much energy as she could muster up, even though it wasn't a lot, when Damon and I walked into her hospital room.

We decided to skip school to come see Tori and spend the day with her, and then go on our date.

I felt awkward when Damon picked me up this morning since I was now aware of my feelings for him - feelings I was not at all comfortable with. But I did my best to push them aside so I could enjoy my time with him and Tori. If Damon picked up on to my awkward vibe he didn't mention it, so he was either being unusually polite or I was hiding it well. 

"Hey there princess." Damon greeted her with a wide smile on his face.

Tori giggled and flashed us a bright grin, making her whole face and eyes light up, and making her look like a healthy little girl. If she wasn't in a hospital bed I would forget she was even sick. It was one of her good days today. 

My heart melted at how the two acted around each other, it was clear as day that Tori loved Damon and that he completely adored her.

"How do you feel?" I asked softly as I sat down on one side of her while Damon sat on the other.

"I'm good good good." She said excitedly, giving us two thumbs up.

I gave her a thumbs up in return and looked over at Damon who was still smiling down at her, but something in his eyes was off, he looked heartbroken. I could tell he was devastated that such an amazing little girl was going through such a difficult thing. 

"So what are we doing today?" Damon asked her.

"Painting! Nurse Nancy said she would bring the pretty paints so I could paint something to put on the wall." She told him, her words practically jumbled together in her excitement.

"What are you going to paint?" He asked her.

"I'm gonna paint you and sissy and me!" She declared happily.

I laughed softly at her enthusiasm just as the door opened and nurse Nancy came in with paints, paint brushes, and paper to paint on.

"Yay!" Tori squealed and started squirming in anticipation of the activity.

She had improved a lot since the last time I saw her, which wasn't that long ago. It felt miraculous. 

Nurse Nancy set out the painting supplies and left with a smile. Tori put a smile on everyone's face. 

"What are you gonna paint?" Tori asked Damon.

"It's a surprise." He replied with a cute secretive smile.

"Let's get painting." I said, handing out the supplies and starting on my own picture.

While we painted Damon and I competed to see who could make Tori laugh the most, which he somehow won, but for once I wasn't upset about losing to him. It was worth it to see Tori so happy. 

When we were all done painting I handed mine to Tori, "Do you like it?"

I painted a pink castle named Princess Tori's Palace. 

"Yes yes! But what does that say?" She asked, pointing to where I wrote the name.

I told her what it said and she got really excited and made me pin it up on her wall immediately.

Next we looked at Tori's painting, which was pretty good for someone so young. It was circles and squiggles that vaguely resembled three people holding hands.