Chatper Thirteen

SOPHIA

Today was going good so far. I woke up this morning happy that Damon didn't interrogate me about the whole hospital thing yesterday, and then I went to school, saw all my friends, and made up with Garrett.

Everything was going great.

But now in Environmental Awareness, I was dreading the moment Damon walked through the door. Every time I'd seen him today I got nervous, thinking he would pull me aside and start questioning me, but so far he hadn't even spared me a glance. At first I was grateful but after a while it just made me more and more nervous.

I tried to tell myself that he just didn't see me, but my gut told me it was all calculated. And that was confirmed when he walked into the room and his eyes instantly met mine, determination swirling in his icy blue irises.

I knew that look well, the one that said 'you will tell me what I want to know.'

"Why were you at the hospital yesterday?" He asked as soon as he sat down beside me.

At least he got right to the point.

"I was visiting someone." I told him vaguely. My strategy was to tell the truth, but leave out the details.

"Who?" He questioned, turning his body to fully face me, letting me know that he was very interested in my answer.

"None of your business." I snapped. That was the second part of my strategy, get mad and start an argument to change the subject without him knowing.

"Well I saw you, so I have the right to know." He reply.

That didn't even make sense.

"You don't have rights when it comes to me, you're not important enough to." I argued, making sure to keep my voice low so I didn't disturb the class.

"I'm important." He muttered in the same hushed tone, his lip jutted out looked like a little kid with hurt feelings.

"No, you really aren't." I disagreed. I didn't care if I hurt him, I'd do anything to avoid telling him about Tori.

He shook his head angrily, "You know what? I'm done. I'm so done with you, why do I even try?"

What did he mean by 'why do I even try?' Try what?

Whatever, it didn't matter. I got him off the topic of me at the hospital so my job was done. My plan was a success.

For the rest of class Damon just pouted.

I still found it hilarious that he was a pouter even though it had been like that since we were kids. Every time he didn't get his way he pouted until he got what he wanted. That pout worked on everyone.

Except for me.

That was an accomplishment all on its own, I could put it on my résumé.

After class as I made my way to the cafeteria Damon came up beside me and without a word walked the rest of the way with me.

"You know, that pout is never gonna work on me right?" I asked, looking at him, still pouting, for a second before training my eyes forward. What happened to 'I'm so done with you'?

"It'll work one day." He declared.

I looked over at him in amusement and his eyes held so much determination.

"What are you even trying to do with that pout? Are you trying to look cute? Because you don't. You honestly look like a constipated pug." I told him, trying my best to sound serious even though I was really just teasing him.