Chapter Twenty-Five

SOPHIA

I looked in the mirror for the millionth time in the last hour and flattened out my dress. I had to admit, I did look pretty cute.

I'd tamed my long blonde hair into loose curls and pinned a small section of hair off to each sides so it wouldn't be in my face as much. And now I was trying to find anything wrong with my outfit. I hoped a light blue sundress and white sneakers was nice enough for a date.

I didn't know why I was so stressed about looking good for the date, but it was very important to me today.

Maybe it was because I wanted to show my gratitude to Damon for visiting Tori with me and making her so happy, or maybe I just wanted to prove him wrong from all those years ago when he called me ugly in grade four.

Whatever the reason, I needed to be perfect and as I stared intently at my reflection I thought that I couldn't really get any better than this.

I checked the time and my heartbeat sped up. Damon would be here any second. I couldn't tell whether I was excited or nervous, but it was probably a mix of both.

I wasn't the biggest fan of surprises so it did freak me out that I didn't know where we were going. I just had to trust that Damon knew me well enough to take me somewhere I liked.

Seconds that felt like years passed, and I got more and more nervous, but then the doorbell rang.

My palms were sweaty and my heart beat rapidly in my chest as I made my way downstairs.

Just breathe Sophia. This date isn't anything serious. Just some fun.

I took a breath to compose myself before finally answering the door.

I gave Damon a shy smile as my eyes scanned him head to toe. How could someone wear such simple clothes and still look so good?

When I realized I was shamelessly checking him out I brought my attention to his face and found him looking me up and down. At least I wasn't the only one ogling someone.

"You look gorgeous." He complimented me quietly, managing to bring a light blush to my cheeks.

"Thanks, you're not too bad yourself." I replied, playing off his compliment smoothly even though I was freaking out on the inside.

He rolled his eyes and gestured for me to follow him to his car, and together we got in and started our journey to wherever we were going.

About five minutes into the drive my curiosity was killing me but I knew Damon wouldn't reveal our date location so I turned on the radio to distract myself.

As music filled the space around us I recognized it as the first song we ever sang together in my music studio closet.

Damon began singing softly and I couldn't help but smile at the mixture of his soothing voice and the fond memory.

Sometimes I couldn't believe the Damon sitting in this car with me was the same one I hated and argued with for years. This Damon, the nice, talented, kid loving Damon was a completely different person. If he showed this side of himself to everyone he'd have every girl in the world falling at his feet.

This Damon was impossible to hate.

I joined in for the chorus of the song, my voice harmonizing perfectly with his. Damon quickly looked over at me and smiled, before training his eyes back on the road. But that smile, no matter how short it was, was something special. It was warm and adoring and something I'd never seen before. No one had ever looked at me like that.