Chapter 19: Jerks

Chapter 19: Jerks

            “So, I’m pretty sure the supernaturals are going to disappear in the next few weeks,” Sadie’s voice almost echoed through the forest.  She walked behind Jerome and me, talking directly to me.  “All of the murders in the towns surrounding us were against supernaturals.  Plus, the councilors are worried that some of the supernaturals are going against each other.  The werewolves are grouping against the vampires, and everyone else is angry at the mind-readers, thinking they’re tapping into their minds on purpose.”

            “And who is giving you this information Sadie,” I almost barked angrily.

            “Rebecca, she’s a mind reader,” Sadie said.  “She hangs out with that vampire girl. I think her name is Nirvana.  They both hate Kevin and Angela, the mind reader and werewolf.  I believe they were on your football team on one of the first days.”

            “Yeah, I know them,” I said, suddenly worrying for them.  Jerome gave me an annoyed look, rolling his eyes.  A small smile crept up my face.  He hated Sadie just as much as I did.  I looked at him with worried eyes, changing an unspoken subject.  Supernaturals were in danger, and going against each other.

            “Brandon is also creating a bit of havoc with the supernaturals; he’s blaming others for no reason, and causing fights.  His friends, Hunter, Tobin, Lucian and Dennis are the same.  They’re trying to scare and anger everyone.”

            “Hunter,” I asked myself.  “I didn’t know he hung out with all of them.”

            “Wait, I think his real name is Chase, but he is great at hunting other supernaturals, so everyone calls him Hunter.  He’s not your ex if you’re wondering.  Your Hunter has been missing for twenty-four hours now.  Jodie sent a search for him.”

            “Huh, I wonder where he went,” I said before realizing I worried for him.  I shook the thought out of my head.  “I’m sure he’s totally fine.  He’s probably just angry for some reason.”

            “I heard he wanted to find his friend Freddie, so he went back to his old home not far from here.  I guess he wanted to know he was truly alive,” Sadie said, snotty emphasis in her voice.

            “He went back home,” Jerome said under his breath.  He sighed, looking away.  “Just like everyone else did.  I knew he would.”

            “Jerome, are you alright,” I asked squeezing his hand, his eyes shadowed over, but he looked down at me with a sober smile.

            “Yeah,” he replied softly.  “Just remembering some stuff.”

            “I don’t think he’ll find anything,” Sadie said snidely at the same time I said it comfortingly.  I rubbed Jerome’s arm and hugged his waist.  I glared at Sadie beside me, but she took it lightly.  Jerome looked down at me, a small, melancholy smile on his face.  He looked up at the stream, watching a bobcat stalk by.  Sadie flinched back, but we just watched it leave.

            “Did it say anything,” I asked Jerome, testing his new skill.

            “It was hunting,” Jerome said.  He looked up where the bobcat disappeared, waiting for something.  “But it took the time to say trust your instincts.”

            “I do that anyways,” I said, catching a laugh in my throat.

            “Anyone without animal DNA don’t know how their instincts work.  They don’t feel the need to use it.  Anyone with some wild animal DNA have complete trust in their instincts.  It gives them a sense of direction and a sense of their surroundings.  That’s why animals are smart, their made to fit in with their environment.  That’s why I hate being human,” Sadie grunted.