Chapter 25: The Government

            After everyone gave us high fives, Jerome, Rosabella and I waited at the lighthouse for Amber and Titus.  I sent Mira to go get them, and she seemed to understand my request.  I waited for what seemed like hours, but it was only minutes.  Mira came flying across the sunny waterfront, alone.  Where were they?  They were going to spend the day at the camp with me.  They must have left as we were in the lighthouse.

            “Where are they,” I asked nobody in particular.  It was more towards myself, thinking out loud.

            “I don’t know, maybe at the mess hall,” Jerome replied, starting to walk away. “I’ll see you at lunch then?”

            “Yeah, see you at lunch,” I replied.  I took one more look across the lake, and then I walked away, puzzled.

            I decided to go to the camp gates; I had a feeling that’s where they would go.  They were getting ready to leave.  Rosabella asked if she could meet Jerome’s friends, so she went away with him.  As I walked, everyone around me seemed to walk the other way.  They were all talking happily with each other, some of them making funny faces or laughing.  I knew I would miss that, after camp my life would be on the streets or in the air.  I wouldn’t have a real home.  Just the thought of going on a mission, it made me feel like I ran away, even though it would make no difference.

            I didn’t even notice when I got to the gate, I was so deep in thought.  Nobody hung out around there.  As far as I could see, nobody walked around me, anywhere.  I sighed in utter defeat.  My  life would never be the same again.  People would always be hiding from me, or I would be hiding from them.

            All of a sudden, someone’s foot stamped into my back, he kicked me so hard I fell to the ground, breathless.  He sat on top of me, pressing his knees on my wings. My arms pinned down under them.  I heard a crackling sound as my wings touched the ground, and a sharp pain slithered through them, making me scream.     

            “Karissa,” I heard Amber and Titus scream.  I knew they were in the same situation.  Whoever kneeled on me now had a handful of my hair, and pushed my face into the dirt.  His weight caused my ribs to bend awkwardly.

            “You know, the government usually kills people who go against their word,” someone behind me said.  His deep voice crackled through my ear, one I could not recognize.  I moved my head to assess my situation, even though dizziness flew over me and my vision blurred.

            Amber’s hands clamped tightly behind her back, and a buff man in a black suit held them there.  His hand was full of her hair, keeping her from moving.  Titus was in the same situation, but the man had a knife at his neck.  There were about six other guys standing around, ready to attack if necessary.  One man seemed to stand out in front of the rest.  He held a gun in his hand, filling it with bullets.  He was skinny and a devious smile played across his wilting face.  I could tell he stressed about his life by the look in his eyes.

            I felt the weight of the man suddenly leave my back as he moaned in pain from a sudden force, but then the pain went to my head as he shot backward onto his back, pulling me down on top of him.  He held a knife to my throat, but now he shook a little as he brought himself and me to our feet.  He did not let go once, and I could feel the blade pierce my skin as he shifted to his feet.  Jerome stood in front of me, his hands balled into fists.  Rosabella attacked the person on Titus, flapping her wings and kicking him in the back of the head, Titus got up, but was brought down again from another guy.  The one being attacked by Rosabella grabbed her arms and legs to keep her from flailing.  She screamed, trying to wriggle herself free from his grasp.  The biggest man grasped Jerome, his hands behind his back.