Chapter 5: Campsite

Chapter 5: Campsite

After four days sitting on a cramped bus and sleeping in dirty hotels, we finally arrived at the camp.  None of us slept much.  We didn’t stop driving until nine every night, and we left every morning at seven.  Everyone groggily got up from where they sat to stretch their cramped joints.  I heard a lot of people yawn and complain about the long ride, but I knew that they were all happy to be here.  I wasn’t tired; I was able to get sleep on the bus.  I had the ability to sleep in the most uncomfortable positions, even on concrete.

A giant billboard stood in the front of the camp site, next to a gigantic metal gate.  Murray Falls Camp was scribbled over it in cursive.  The bus driver pressed a button on a remote he had, and the metallic bar gates opened.  Everyone on the bus shouted in excitement.  They all moved to get their bags, pushing each other out of the way.  One girl shrieked as she fell to the ground, pushed by another camper.

We drove slowly into a dirt parking lot, bouncing around unevenly.  The other bus was now parked and empty.  Nobody was around it either.  The bus driver parked in between two buses.  A group of teens still stood around, all of them dragging suitcases around.  When the bus driver opened the door, everyone pushed their way towards the front, trying to get out.  As I stepped off the last step of the bus, I tripped over something.  My ankle twisted and I completely lost my balance.  I almost fell, but just as I tripped, someone either caught me or I fell on him.  He grabbed my right arm so we both wouldn’t fall over onto the ground.  My breath puffed out, and I instantly tried to catch it again.

“Be careful. Those stairs are slippery,” his masculine voice rang in my ear.  For some reason, his voice shocked my heart and made it skip.  I scrambled to my feet again, trying to look for his face as I did so.  When I found it, I slipped under a spell.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to fall on you,” I apologized, my body felt paralyzed as he squeezed my arm.  I looked up at him and took in his features, remembering his face just in case I saw him again.  He was very attractive, compared to boys at my school.  No blemishes at all.

“That’s alright.  You’re lucky I was there,” his grey, blue eyes shimmered, looking into mine.  His brownish-grey hair fell in front of them, blocking full view.  He had a square jaw and perfect nose. He smiled crookedly and sweetly with white teeth barely showing through.  I noticed he still grasped my arm, and he never took his gaze off of mine.  I slowly lifted myself into a normal standing position and he let go, reassured that I wouldn’t fall over.

“I’m Jerome by the way,” he said putting out his hand for me to shake, cutting through the awkward silence we had.  I still stared at him, almost awestruck by his smooth but low voice.

“Karissa…nice to meet you Jerome,” I said, noticing I still stared.  I shook his hand while I tried to get out of my abrupt trance.  Someone poked my shoulder, finally shocking me from my trance, and I flicked my gaze to her.  I let out a breath, but still felt a small knot in my chest.

“Hey, Karissa, do you want to come with us to find the administrator, or do you want to go with your new friend,” Grace asked, giving Jerome a smile even though her eyes were uninviting.  She put herself next to me, but close enough to Jerome to make him back off a little.  He looked at her, almost fear-like.  She didn’t want me abandoning Hunter, just like my father.