Chapter 3: Hunter

Chapter 3: Hunter

“So are you really going to do it sweetie, I don’t feel comfortable with it,” my mom said.  When I landed to talk to the president, she talked to dad and Hunter about the injured white tiger at the zoo, too shy to take on the leader of the United States of America.  Drew, my dad’s coworker kept the president busy, he was telling him about my unusual DNA.  Drew is a big blabbermouth.

“It’s fine mum, I should do this, and I want to find people like me.  I’ll fit in more with them.  Possibly make friends with some of them…if they’re nice,” I sat at the table, watching my mother as she looked for something to make for dinner.  We hadn’t talked about it all day.

“Yeah, alright, but of you ever need anything, come back here, anyone is welcome.  Oh, and you might want to bring Rebel, he’ll miss you.  He could also be useful,” she said.

“What do you mean,” I asked curiously.

“We could use him for as a mail carrier.  He is also good at attacking people.  He attacked a zookeeper the other day, and sent him to the hospital,” she said as a matter of fact.  She looked unaffected by her words, but I was horrified.

“That’s horrible,” I said in a loud tone.  Rebel never attacked a zookeeper before, and now he has.  What has gotten into him?

“Well, now that we know he is a fighter,” she said, sighing.  “Like I said, he should be useful, he is a strong bird, and he is protective.”

“Hey guys…come over here, you might want to see this, both of you,” dad said.  We both walked into the living room out of curiosity.  I looked at the TV, and wondered why my dad had it on.  The news was on and everyone watched it.

Hunter sat on the right side of the couch, my dad sat on the floor in front of it, and my mom took the left side of the couch.  Drew had the chair, and Gabby, Mom’s intern sat on the loveseat with Oreo, our border collie, leaving me the middle of the couch.  I sighed from disappointment.

I sat down, pulled my legs to my chest and wrapped my arms around my legs. I faced my mom so I wouldn’t have Hunter’s gaze digging into my soul.  He placed his arm around my neck and pulled me towards him until I pressed against his chest.  I couldn’t get up, and felt paralyzed as he pushed me over until my side lay against him.  I let go of my legs, giving into Hunter’s warmth under my cheek.  Even though I radiated with awkwardness, the beating of his heart and the steady rise and fall of his chest as he breathed comforted me.  I slowed my breathing until it matched his, and he wrapped his arm around my waist, placing is hand on my stomach.

The news showed the full image of a fire, the one I helped dwindle.  Then, a picture came up of something flying above it.  They zoomed in, and showed a grainy picture of a girl.  Her wings looked like the one I saw in the woods earlier.  My heart beat faster and faster, worried about what happened to her.  I didn’t know who she was, and I didn’t want the president to find her and take her away.

“Holy sh…” Hunter said, but I slapped him to stop him from saying it, “Ouch, that hurt!”

“I thought you said you weren’t seen,” mom stated.  She looked furious, but mostly concerned.

“I wasn’t…that’s not me.  Look, her wings are a different color, and she’s blonde,” I said pointing at the screen to prove my point.  My mom always blamed me for this type of stuff; she blamed me for everything that went on around here.

“Then who is it,” my mom looked me in the face, detecting my innocence.  She looked a little worried, but she seemed to calm down when she saw I was sincere.