Chapter 17: Forgotten

            It’s Wednesday and we’ve been at the camp for a month.  It is laundry day, so I picked up all the dirty clothes from my bed and left for the laundry room in the basement.  Vanessa and Grace still slept, so I quietly shut the door on my way out.

            The bottom of my white socks turned brown as I walked through the dirt filled hallway.  I still wore my pink pajama bottoms and a white spaghetti strap.  I walked down the stairs without a sound, and opened the basement door.  Two other girls stood in the laundry room when I arrived.  They talked about something, I wasn’t sure what it was, but it was probably gossip.  Sadie talked to her roommate, Rebecca.  She noticed me as I walked in, but just went back to talking.

            “Yeah, someone’s going to get kicked out of the camp,” Sadie said, she always had to gossip, “I don’t know who, but I have a feeling it’s going to be Brandon, the guy who always tries to start fights in the boys’ dorms.”  I rolled my eyes at her comment.  Brandon seems threatening, but it’s only because he has anger issues.  He is an escaped manmade mutant, and a flaw from the serum is anger issues.  I felt bad for Lab Mutants, the serums always had side effects.

            “I’m not surprised,” Rebecca said bitterly.  I hated when she talked snobby like that, “He’s already gone to Jodie’s office about a dozen times.”  I walked over to an empty washing machine, trying to ignore their snide comments.  I put my basket of clothes on the ground, knelt down on the floor, and started going through all the pockets.  I usually forget something in my sweatshirt pockets, and it’s just a precaution so I don’t ruin something.

            As Sadie and Rebecca kept talking about Brandon, I picked up my white sweatshirt.  It reeked of mud and salt water.  It was probably from all that crying and rain.  I put my hand in the pocket, and felt a large peace of paper inside.  I pulled it out, and looked for writing.  Bird Girl was written on one side.  I flipped it over, and saw the crease of an envelope.  I peeled away the crease, being careful not to rip it too much and gain attention from Sadie and Rebecca.

Hey, I got your letter.  Why did a Golden Eagle deliver it to me, and how did he know where I was?  My name is Anessa Holden, and I live right inside the forest where that fire took place in Wyoming last month.  I live on the other side of the forest though.  That day I was outside, alone with my camera in hand, taking a walk.  I noticed a fire, so I went up to it.  I’m a stupid 13 year old.  I saw you trying to put the fire out, so I took a picture of you, I attached it to the back of this letter.  When you noticed me, you took off.  Apparently someone else noticed you, because I saw you on the news.

 My family is rich, and we have a lot of technology.  I’m technology smart, so I can find anything or anyone by pressing a few buttons. (My dad is a secret agent, and he’s training me to be one).  So yes, I can help you.

My friend is just like you, and I can arrange for you to meet her at the beginning of August, or whenever you want to meet her.  Just call the number on the back of this letter, and we can arrange to meet.

                                                                                                                        See you then,

                                                                                                                        Anessa

                I looked on the back of the letter, a picture was paper clipped to the back, and a phone number was written below it.  The picture showed Amber, her wing in front of her face.  Her bird got the wrong person, and I never saw Anessa at the fire.  I don’t really think it mattered though, the bird knew I was like her, and maybe it knew something else that nobody else knew.  It might have figured out I would be the one to lead a war against the government, or lead all the mutants, including Amber.  Animals are smarter than humans with their instinct, so maybe, its instincts targeted me.