Chapter 19: A Devastating Discovery for All

Max looks intently at his reflection in a small jagged piece of mirror, as he cuts his hair close to his head. When he's finished with his hair, he focuses on his beard, which he's let grow out over the past few months. He decides he'll keep his beard as it is. 

Although he can barely see his entire face in the broken piece of mirror, he realizes how much older he looks now than he did only a nine months before—when he'd first met Serene Fordstealer in the woods. It seems so long ago now, like an entire lifetime has already passed. 

He's been looking over his shoulder every day for nearly two months, always wondering when Marcus will attack. He knows that it's not a matter of if, but when, and the torture of waiting is taking its toll on him. Marcus came under Max's father's favor specifically because he's so unrelenting and methodical. Max knows that whatever it was that drove Marcus to pursue him, it's not going to just go away. He'll have to face it head-on sooner or later.

As the winter snows slowed and began to recede, Max has spent his time deconstructing the Neworker camp. When the camp was sufficiently deconstructed, the Neworkers traveled in waves along the black roads towards Carolina. They set up their new camp in a large cave high in the mountains just outside of the Carolina outpost of Kingsport, which is a two-day ride north of Fort Biltmore. 

Max has been travelling back and forth between the camps, coordinating the move. During all of this, he's constantly worried when Marcus will strike. Many times Max finds himself wishing that Marcus would just go ahead and get it over with, so the anxiety will stop eating at him. 

The one upside to this unrelenting wait is that, after some time, Max realizes that Marcus is most likely not going to reveal Max's role in the Brotherhood to his father, even though he clearly seems to know about it. Another upside to the situation is that it's taking his mind off of his impending marriage to Maria Fordstealer's daughter.

Max's life has never been what you would call easy, although many seem to think so. His mother, who he had adored, had died when he was only a child. His father, who he reciprocally hated, was his only lifeline for survival. If it weren't for Claudius and the Brotherhood, he probably would've killed himself a long time ago. 

Max has known Claudius for most of his life and has often turned to him for some sense of comfort when Max's father neglected or lambasted him. When Claudius introduced him to the Brotherhood, Max knew that he had found his true family. Although the stress of being a double-agent did wear on him, the Brotherhood gave him a purpose in life and a reason to live. Now, more than ever, it's the Brotherhood that has kept him going.

That night, Max and Claudius meet with their Brothers on an old dam near the relocated Neworker camp. Max watches the rushing waters of the old Holston river flow underneath the dam. There had once been a bridge to cross the river, but now this one remaining dam is the only way to cross without fording the icy cold water. The Neworkers will have to cross this dam as they make their way to Biltmore for Max's wedding celebrations. Now, however, there are just four gentlemen standing in the cold darkness speaking candidly to one another, the sound of the rushing water below them drowning out the sounds of their voices. 

Despite the coldness, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and John Hancock are warmed by each other's company. Mr. Washington inquires from Max and Claudius about the status of the Neworker relocation. Claudius answers, "We're essentially in place in our new camp now. Mr. Jefferson has carefully orchestrated the rebuilding of the camp within the protection of the large caverns nearby. I anticipate that the General will travel to the Biltmore fort to confirm the final wedding arrangement within the next two weeks. How goes the resistance on their side?" 

Mr. Washington and Mr. Hancock exchange an uneasy look. Mr. Hancock clears his throat, "Well, sirs, I bring unfortunate news. I haven't been able to make contact with Mr. Hamilton, despite my greatest efforts." Both Max and Claudius look at each other with great worry. Mr. Hancock continues, "In addition, I have recently found out that the Princess somehow became aware of the plans to overthrow her."