Chapter 13: The Ghosts That We Forgot Were Haunting Us

As Max's impending wedding date slowly approaches, he finds himself wrapped up in a blanket of angst. He feels like crawling out of his own skin, and it's all he can do to maintain his composure. If winter wasn't in full force now, he would have stolen away into the darkness without a word, gone back to Biltmore to find Serene, and this time truly never looked back, as he had fantasized so many times before. 

But, Alexander Hamilton was the only man who could stand a chance on his own in peak winter. Without shelter, a man would freeze solid after just about two hours at night. Many people had tried to travel during peak winter, only to find themselves trapped in the elements and dead by the next morning. 

Although Max wants nothing more than to take control of his fate and just escape, he also isn't too keen on committing suicide either. So, once again, Max finds himself sitting in his tent alone with his thoughts.

After what feels like several hours of contemplation, the flap of his tent suddenly opens and Claudius staggers in. Max smiles, "Man, am I happy to see you. I feel like I am going to lose my mind these days. How goes it with my father?" 

As Claudius comes closer to the fire, Max can see that the look on Claudius's face is not jovial, but rather quite distressed. Quickly, Max stands up and walks over to Claudius, grabbing him by the arm, "What's the matter? Are you okay?" Claudius sort of grunts as he leans on Max and loses his balance, nearly falling to the floor, "Max, something is amiss. I don't know who is behind this." 

He pulls his hand away from his side to reveal a blood-soaked spot in his tunic, "Whoever it was, he's strong and very fast. He came up behind me, stuck me, and was gone before I could even look around. I don't believe your father is aware of our mission, but I don't know who else would have malice against me. I am just perplexed." 

Claudius's eyes are starting to roll backwards, as the pain and blood-loss are draining his consciousness. Max begins to feel panicked, "Don't worry Claudius, I'll get the doctor. Just lie down and rest." Claudius resists, "No, Max, you must find out who's behind this and you must alert the Brotherhood. Don't worry about me..." His voice trails off to a bare whisper.

Max drags Claudius to his cot and watches him collapse in pain, unconscious and pale. His breathing is short and fast. Max's mind races. If his father is on to them, he should take Claudius and find a way to get him out of the camp and meet up with the Brotherhood before they're all killed. If it was some random attack, he should find the doctor right away to try to save Claudius now. Why would someone randomly attack him, though? It just doesn't make sense. If he doesn't get the doctor, though, Claudius could die tonight and Max will be taking his body back to meet the Brotherhood. 

Still unsure of what he should do but sure that he should do something, Max runs out of his tent and blindly makes his way to the stables. When he nears the stable doorway, the hairs on the back of his neck stand up, and he can tell that something is not right. He can hear the horses whinnying and stomping loudly. He unsheathes his blade and walks slowly into the building. 

It's very dark inside and hard to focus with the frenzied commotion coming from the horses. Max cautiously walks, while half-squatting, to Jupiter's stall. He looks over the stall door and screams out loud as he sees Jupiter lying on the ground in a huge pool of dark blood. Jupiter's eyes are watering and his neck is crudely cut with several slashes through his throat, some nearly reaching his spinal column. He looks at Max and tries to whinny, but no sound comes out because his vocal cords have been sliced.

Tears well in Max's eyes at the horror and sadness of the sight of Jupiter in pain. Out of compulsion, he walks into the stall and kneels down beside Jupiter. Max puts his hand over Jupiter's eyes and whispers in his ear, "I'm so sorry." Max is just about to plunge his blade through the white star on Jupiter's forehead when he feels Jupiter's breathing suddenly slow and then quickly still. Max moves his hand from Jupiter's eyes and gently strokes his mane, overwhelmed with emotion. At the same time, Max feels absolutely wretched and forlorn at the loss of Jupiter, his best horse and close friend, but also feels some relief that he doesn't have to actually do what he was about to do.