Chapter 18: Food for the Soul

Serene feels her heart beating in her chest as she watches the door slam behind Maria. Slowly, she begins to calm down, and her rage becomes replaced with fear. She turns to her grandmother, "What are we going to do?" Vera hugs her granddaughter, "We have to get word to Suzette, so we can get out of this hell hole. Winter is over; we'll go as far as we can until it is time for your child to come. We'll establish a new home in the south somewhere." 

Serene pulls away from her grandmother's embrace, "No, we'll get out of here, and we'll kill that bitch and set everything right, once and for all." Vera shakes her head, "Serene, I would love nothing more, but the rebellion is over. Maria won't rest until everyone at Speaker Fox's camp is dead. We don't have the power that we had before. We should run as far and as fast as we can." 

Serene can't believe that her grandmother has given up so easily, "It only takes one person to put an end to this, and that person will be me. After she's dead, we'll rebuild our government and start over. I believe that my dad really did love her, but if he knew what she's become, this is what he would want. I owe it to him and to all of Carolina to restore our country to the great place it once was." 

Vera smiles at Serene, "You have grown up so much, my dear. Your father would be quite proud of you, but he'd also want you to protect yourself and your child." Serene puts her hands on her grandmothers, "A life with Maria in it is not going to be worth living for my child or anyone else. I'll do what I can to protect my child and that includes putting an end to Maria."

Serene and Vera sit down on the dirt floor of the cell and begin hatching out a plan to make contact with Suzette. Unfortunately, those plans came to an end when the prison door opens and the officers come in with another prisoner. 

As the prisoner protests and struggles before being thrown into the next cell, Vera recognizes the voice of her close friend Suzette. After the officers leave, Vera speaks loudly into the darkness, "Well, this is a fine mess you've gotten yourself into, Suzette. We were counting on you to release us. You were an important component of our escape plan, and now look what you've done, getting yourself locked up." In a simple reply, they hear the familiar sound of Suzette's scruff voice, "Pffff, you should've known better to than to put all of your hopes on me. That is your own stupid mistake, lady." 

Vera chuckles, "Well, I guess now we'll just have to find someone else who'll forsake their own safety and security to get our butts out of here before we all become worm food." With a slight sound of worry in her voice, Suzette replies, "What's to become of us? Won't we be put to trial?" In a low tone, Vera replies, "I am afraid not, my dear. We've been abandoned. We're meant to starve to death." 

In the cold darkness, they hear Suzette's response, "...Well, at least we won't be bothered by anyone. I, for one, could use some peace and quiet."

It's been several more hours since Suzette was brought in, and the prison has remained silent. Serene begins to feel queasy. She hasn't eaten since breakfast, and the couple of times she's has thrown up a few times since then is making her feel really week now. She lies down on the floor to sleep, hoping that sleep will soothe her hunger. After some time, she drifts off to sleep. 

She dreams many vivid images of her last conversation with Maria, the last time she saw Alexander, and the night she spent with Thomas. Lastly, she dreams of several happy moments that she'd shared with her father. 

She sees his warm eyes looking at her with his half-smile. Then, she sees his smile turn serious as he tells her, "Serene, did you know that many, many years ago before the great meteor and the Great Corruption of the government, our nation, the Great Country, was a truly remarkable and civilized place, where intelligent people created new and wonderful things that improved the lives of everyone else? I hope that one day we'll return to those times, and I hope that it occurs in your lifetime. One day, Serene, you'll have children of your own, and I hope that your children will live in a place where rational thought, innovation, and peace prevail. You'll learn one day that as a parent that it'll be up to you to make the world a better place for your children."