Chapter 10

Being Watched

Chapter 10

Boring is the perfect word that could describe the rest of my week at school. School is really getting boring and I just want a break but I won't be getting a break for another month or so.

Our exams start in three weeks and the teachers have been pressuring us even more.

I keep telling myself that in five weeks I'll be done with exams and I would have my Christmas break which is for two weeks!

When Friday comes, I can't be more relieved! At the end of the day, while I'm packing my books, I remember that I have a church meeting tonight.

I groan internally. I'm not in the mood at all. I just want to go home and watch TV in my fuzzy blue pajamas and a cup of hot chocolate.

I think about telling Jeremy that I won't make it tonight because I'm tired or something but as if reading my mind, he says,

"I'll pick you up at seven."

I open my mouth to protest but he's already out the door.

I frown then sigh. I guess I have no choice but to go.

Okay, I didn't really try to tell him that I didn't want to go because the idea of spending time with him is making me happy.

I return home and decide to cook dinner today and surprise my parents when they come back home from work.

Before starting with the cooking, I go up to my room and put on a pair of sweatpants and a comfortable, thick sweatshirt. I turn on the heat in the house because I'm freezing then I start cooking one of the few things I know how to cook: pasta.

As soon as I'm done, I hear the sound of keys and a minute later my parents walk into the kitchen.

"Hey," I say, smiling at them.

"You cooked dinner?" Mom asks.

"Yeah, surprise," I reply.

She smiles at me and dad gives me a brief hug.

"I'll put the plates, you go change out of your work clothes," I tell them as I take out three white plates with blue designs on them from the cabinet above the sink.

With huge smiles on their faces, my parents walk upstairs to their room.

Still smiling, I fill the three plates with pasta and set them on the table with forks, knives, and glasses.

I wait a few minutes for my parents to come back downstairs and when they finally do, we all sit down for dinner.

"Thank you for the dinner, Steph, it's delicious," Dad tells me, his voice a little muffled because his mouth is full.

I giggle at my dad and my mom grins.

"You're welcome," I then say and they give me the proud looks I love.

After dinner, I change into jeans and a white long sleeved shirt with a light blue jacket above it. I slip on my matching light blue converse and remove the hair-tie from my hair, letting it fall down my shoulders, warming me slightly.

I put on some perfume and slip a bit of money in my pockets before grabbing my phone and going back downstairs to wait for Jeremy there.

I sit on the couch next to my parents when I reach the living room and glance at the TV on which a scientist is talking about volcanoes. I have no idea why they are watching that but I'm guessing it's because they didn't find anything better.