Chapter 1

Being Watched

Chapter 1

“What did you just say?” I ask my mom.

“Sweetie, I know it’s hard for you to leave all your friends behind but this is a big opportunity for your dad and me,” my mom says.

Apparently, my parents both got promoted in the company they work at but they have to move to a different country to another branch to get that. Yes, they work together and that’s how they met many years ago.

“We’ll have a much bigger house over there and our income will increase,” dad adds.

That is not why I’m shocked, though. I’m shocked because that’s the place where Jeremy lives. I can’t run into him! This should not happen!

“You’ll be attending a private school, too!” Mom says excitedly.

Please don’t say it, please don’t say it, I kept on chanting in my head, but of course she says it.

I’m going to attend the same school as Jeremy. We are in the same grade and there are only four sections so I have a twenty five percent chance of ending up in the same class as him and knowing my luck, it will happen.

“And there are barely twenty students in each section so it’s not crowded at all!” Dad encourages me.

“And you don’t have to run from one class to the other and risk being late because the teachers come to your class!” Mom says.

This is not happening. I have to wake up at some point and laugh at the absurdity of the situation.

Mom and Dad smile at me, their eyes shining with hope and excitement. The Jeremy thing is my problem and I will have to deal with it by myself. I can’t be selfish with this, besides they are doing it for my benefit.

So I smile too and hug my parents.

“That’s great,” I say to them. “Thank you and congratulations on that promotion!”

“Oh sweetie I’m so glad you’re taking this well,” Mom says, relief evident in her voice.

“You’re the best, Steph,” Dad says, giving me a kiss on the cheek.

“When are we moving?” I ask.

“Next Monday,” My mom replies and I almost die of a heart attack. That’s five days from now! I expected her to say a month but five days?! I am so not ready!

“And you start school on Tuesday,” Dad adds and that’s it, I bang my head on the table. Hard.

“Sweetie, are you okay?” Mom asks worriedly.