Chapter 8

Being Watched

Chapter 8

The week couldn’t pass any slower. I think it’s because I’ve been constantly thinking about Friday night. I tried to stop thinking about it, hoping that time will pass faster but it didn’t work.

And finally, after what seems like months, Friday arrives.

The day passes slowly like every other day this week. Jeremy reminds me again in class of the meeting and I pretend as if I had forgotten.

“Don’t forget the meeting tonight,” he had said.

“Oh right!” I replied.  “What time again?”

“I’ll pick you up at seven,” he said and I nodded.

Hah! As if I could forget about this.

Even though I didn’t hang out with his group of friends another time this week, they were starting to acknowledge me more.

It feels like I’m slowly starting to fit in. I mean it’s been around a month so I should be starting to fit in. November started this week and the weather is now much colder. I never liked that month because it’s always been so depressing with the start of the rain and cold. Plus, being in the middle of the first term at school didn’t help. It seems so far away from Christmas break.

When the final bell rings, I almost do a happy dance but I don’t want to embarrass myself so I just grin widely as I grab my cell phone and head out.

Back at home, I decide to take a nap. I don’t bother putting an alarm because I know that my parents will be home soon and they will wake me up for dinner.

It’s six when dad wakes me up for dinner. We eat together like every other day and my parents ask about school and the usual stuff.

Then excitement fills their eyes as they talk about the meeting I’m attending with Jeremy tonight. They were so happy when I told them I’m going to a meeting at church.

I feel slightly guilty because I agreed to go just because it means that I get to spend time with Jeremy.

It’s not like I’m not going to try. If the people there help me find some answers, simplify things, or just make my faith strong again, then I’ll work on myself and I’ll make an effort to give my religion another chance.

After dinner, I quickly run up to my room to change since I’m still in my school uniform. I put on my black skinny jeans and a white ‘I ♥ Greece’ hoodie that Martha got me when she traveled to Greece last year.

The doorbell rings as soon as I finish tying my shoelace. I quickly put on some perfume, grab my cell phone, shove some money in my pocket, and rush downstairs.

“Hey,” Jeremy says when he sees me.

“Hi,” I reply, smiling at him.

My parents are smiling proudly at him, making me roll my eyes. Before mom could start a conversation about religion with him, I say, “Bye mom, bye dad!”

“Bye!” They reply and I close the door behind me.

“Your parents seem happy,” he says and I chuckle.

“They’re just happy that I’m going to church,” I reply.

“They go to church?” He asks.