Chapter 2

Being Watched

Chapter 2

“You’re moving?!” Martha yells and a few people in the hallway stare at her.

“Quiet down,” I order her. “It’s a big opportunity for my parents and I’m not going to stop them just because I don’t want to leave my friends. Besides, they are doing this for me as well. I can’t be selfish.”

She sighs and nods her head, knowing that I am right. “I’m going to miss you, Steph,” she says sadly.

“I’m going to miss you too,” I say. I won’t be able to see my friends anymore and we will not be able to hang out all together and goof around.

“Why? Where are you going?” Jack appears out of nowhere with the rest of our group.

“I’m moving away guys,” I tell them sadly and they all stare at me in shock for a second.

“When?” Carla asks.

“Monday,” I reply.

“Why?” John asks.

“My parents got promoted and we have to move so that they can work in a different branch of the company,” I explain.

Sad expressions overtake their faces.

“We’ll still talk through Skype,” I try to cheer them up.

Suddenly, four pairs of arms hug me.

“We’re going to miss you so much,” Carla says and I smile. Before we can say anything else, the bell rings and we all walk to our different classes.

I don’t concentrate fully all day because I’m thinking of Jeremy and how I should react when I see him. I have a feeling that my concentration in class this week will be very low.

And I’m right.

The rest of the week passes in a blur between classes and preparations for the move. I spend a lot of time watching Jeremy too because these are the last few days I get to see him in his room.

I wonder if we will be good friends when I attend his school and mainly, I wonder is he will show me his poems someday or show me his other side.

A part of me knows that he won’t because none of his friends know, not even Gavin, his best friend since first grade so why will I be the exception?

Saturday arrives and I wake up early to prepare the sandwiches for our picnic at the park. Once I’m done with the food, I go up to my room and change into a pair of light blue jeans and a black T-shirt with the outline of Mickey Mouse on it in white.