Chapter 4 -Distance-

Eliza opened her eyes and saw Ayla sitting beside her. She was smiling. So it was just a dream. She sighed in relief then held Ayla's arm. Suddenly, Ayla started crying, then she stood up and spoke angrily to Eliza.

            "I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU!" Ayla said then ran away.

            "Ayla!" Eliza reached for her then she saw her stop. Chaos appeared with Azlian.

            "I have no more need of you. " He said. Then Zieros appeared out of nowhere with two golden griffins at his back.

            "You bring nothing but bloody murder to everyone. You have no self-control. That is why that clan died. I sentence you into an exile in the human world, together with the humans that you so loved." He said.

            "No! I didn't mean to do that! It wasn't my fault! Don't blame me for it! I didn't do it! I didn't want to kill them."

            She struggled to block the rushing memories, those memories that she buried deep in the confines of her mind to save her sanity. The bloody room. The burning houses. The pile of bloodless corpses. The child left crying. Ashes littered the ground. She screamed for it to stop. Then she woke up, panting, completely lost within the realm of dreams and reality. Her clothes were soaked in sweat. She looked around and found nothing. Everything that happened last night was real, and what she saw was the dream. She touched her forehead then sat with her chin tucked between her knees. Why do I need to remember it right now. She kept her eyes wide open, afraid to be back in darkness where she will be reminded of her deed. Slowly, she fell asleep. When she woke up again, she was already hugging Ayla. She blinked and she vanished. There was no Ayla around. Nothing. If only I didn't gave in to my bloodlust, this won't happen. Ayla. Ayla. Ayla.

            Eliza went to her school since she doesn't have anything to do at her house. She wanted to talk to her, to tell her she's sorry. When she arrived at their room, she saw that Ayla didn't attend their class. Why am I doing this. She isn't worth your time Eliza. She's just another human. She told herself. When the class ended she went back home, not bothering to stop by her friend's house. I am a goddess. I don't apologize to lowly humans. I don't need her in my life. She told herself repeatedly until it became a chant. It calmed her a bit.

            The next day, Ayla attended class but didn't speak to Eliza. I don't need her in my life. Eliza told herself, but before she knew it, she's already walking towards Ayla.

            "Ayla can we-" Before she can finished, Ayla already walked away. Throughout the day, she tried a few times to speak to Ayla, but every time she came near her, Ayla would just walk away. Before the day ended, she gave up the idea of talking to her. The days went by and it turned into weeks then a month, but Ayla never talked to Eliza. Eliza didn't made any more moves to talk to her either. It was like they were complete strangers.

            As the days dragged on, Eliza's thoughts always end up with Ayla. She thought of her touch, her smiles, her laughs, her eyes, her voice. She thought of her detached attitude at school and her childishness at home. She thought of her entering the house. She thought of the way her hair would dance as she cook for her. She thought of her sleeping face. She thought of Ayla beside her. A hole had opened up in her heart, a hole that she knew only Ayla can fill. She missed her. Even the chant she invented stopped working already. She wanted to see her. She wanted to talk to her. I want her back.