Chapter 6

“No! I won’t sleep in that damned…chair!” Oh no, I don’t even know what to call that thing, it’s not a couch not a sofa not even close to anything comfortable for me. It’s just a long flat wooden thing that has four feet.

By the looks of it, I wouldn’t even fit kung hindi ako babaluktot. With my 6’2 height, I know better.

“Wag ka ng maarte please.” She pleaded for the nth time, how much more trouble can I get?

One, I was forced to come to this damned place. Two, I was forced to wear this damn thing; oh by the way, I’m wearing a lose light blue shirt with faded ‘rebisco’ print at the center, a rugged and torn denim shorts that barely clung to my waist that I even needed to put a belt in order to hold it back from falling. And now, F*cking three, I am being forced to sleep on this uncomfortable long wooden damn thing!

So much for the favor, really.

“No! I’ve had enough for the day!” angil ko muli, she just sighed and looked at me as she puckered her lips. Still holding out one white pillow and one blanket for that she said was for me.

Really? Walang comforter?

“Fine! Ako na lang ang matutulog dito.” She said as she sat down, she looked at me with puppy dog eyes -  nagpapaawa. Not gonna work, no, not gonna work.

“Okay.” I just shrugged. No gentleman Phil for today, she deserves that anyway.

Tumalikod na ako at naglakad papunta sa kuwarto, I turned to the right flicking the lights on. I can hear her muttering things and curse words under her breath but I never bothered to look back. Like I said, she deserves it.

The bed was not that bad, at least may foam ito at sakto lang din ang haba para sa height ko, I propped my tired body in it while burying my head in the pillows. It doesn’t smell that bad either, actually, it smelled like Lavender.

I roamed my eyes on the small room while keeping both of my hands at the back of my head. By the looks of it, it must be Andi’s room.

There was no paint or what not, because the walls are not even concrete, it’s made of bamboo. On the left side of it lies a small cabinet with a mirror on. While across form me, is a big portrait of Andi with a crown in a pink gown. Maganda siya sa picture actually, charming. I really don’t know, she really is not the type of girl na nakikita kong sumasali sa beauty pageants and whatsoever. Hindi ko pa nga siguro siya kilala.

My theory was proven when I saw a massive golden trophy na nasasabitan ng maraming gold and silver medals, beside it are plaques, certificates and a sash that says, ‘Lakambini ng Sta. Catalina’.

One, she is the beauty queen type of girl. Two, she is an achiever.

***

Naalimpungatan ako sa kalagitnaan ng tulog ko, namulat ang mata ko sa kadiliman ng paligid at tahimik na pag-lipad ng kurtina sa bintanang hindi nakasara. Hindi ko naalalang pinatay ko ang ilaw sa gasera, ngunit dahil siguro sa malakas na pag-ihip ng hangin ay kusa itong nawalan ng sindi.

Sobrang nakabibingi ang katahimikan sa lugar na ito, but it’s so relaxing, I know it surprised me too to feel that way. Sobrang malayo sa ingay na dulot ng iba’t-ibang sasakyan sa siyudad, night clubs at ang nakakairitang polusyon, higit sa lahat, malayo ako sa stress ng trabaho.

I know sooner or later kailangan kong harapin iyon pero ngayon, hindi muna. Let’s just say that I’m taking a vacation and for the first time, I like it.  I know, nakakatawa, I’m not usually this way. I usually stick up to my plans, but being here messes every bit of control I have. Wala naman akong choice, this is a strange place to me plus the fact na walang signal and there’s this girl that’s always glued to my back.