Play Horses

Hazel POV

"Oh, do I?" Cain said, showing up FINALLY. "What is it I missed, then?"

"Our favourite couple is finally together." Meggie said, literally bumping their heads together. Not hard, though, coz Mervyn just looked at her and Mik barely responded. She looked at Cain instead, measuring his expression, I think. Everybody says that Mik is easy to read, but I can only just manage. I'm not good at reading people.

"Well, good for you." Cain said, and winked at Mik. She smiled back, in relief. She's just naturally worried about what other people (especially the ones she liked) think.

"Then, are we still hanging out today?" I asked. "Or do you guys need time to-"

"Hazel!" Mik whined, cutting me off.

"Yeah, that's right." Meggie said. "The date's on Saturday."

"Meggie!" Mik gasped.

"What?" Meggie deadpanned. "Is it not true?"

"Yes, it is."Mervyn said quickly, before Mik could reply. "Today it's my place."

"Oh!" I almost yelled. "I have to be somewhere now!" I pretended not to notice Meggie mouthing the words as I said them. I kissed Cain (none of those pesky PDA rules in this school) and dashed off. I tripped on something as I left, but acted like nothing happened, and everyone who noticed ignored it after a second.

Cain saw me, though, and had to hide a grin. I love Cain. Well, obviously, I had to like him at least a little, seeing as he's my boyfriend. But he's great. A lot of guys used me for my body or my popularity, but Cain never did. We've been together too long for that. We don't break up every two seconds, or have World-war scale fights in the hallways. I hit him sometimes, but that's just coz he's a big meanie (jk). And of course, there's his looks. He has catlike green eyes, and dark hair. Like a canefield (lol). Except a canefield would be green, wouldn't it? His hair is just brown. Almost black. So that was a bad comparison.

Anyway, I had to see Uncle Tim. Yes, the English teacher. He's my dad's little brother. Therefore, I am, in fact, Hazel Burr. It's a bad last name, but at least my first name is cool. I got in MAJOR trouble with him today.

******************************

AN: Sorry for the text language here and there. That's just how Hazel is. Same with the rambling. And the short chappie is because I'm easing into the POVs I'm not good at.

By the way, PDA means Public Displays of Affection. And not any of the following:

Personal Digital Assistant

Penguin Defence Army

People Desire Applesauce

Popsicle Destruction Agents

Peeing Displeases Adults.

POV, of course, means Preferably Oscillate Ventricles. (@shalinar1211. Now you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehe)

Mikelah POV

There didn't seem to be a lock on Mervyn's door. He just opened it, and let us in.

"Mel, you home?" He called. A few seconds later, little footsteps started, and a small girl flung herself onto his back.

"Mervyn, you're back!" The girl yelled, right into his ear. He winced. I imagined this was Melanie, his much loved little sister. "Who are these people?" she asked him, dismounting his back, then she gasped. "Hi Meggie!"

"Hi Melanie." Meggie grinned.

"So, you know Meggie." Mervyn told her. "This is Hazel, Cain, and Mikelah." Melanie repeated the names, pointing in the exact same way as Mervyn. I loved her already. Then she walked directly up to Cain.

"Hiiiii!" she said, ignoring the rest of us momentarily. "You look like my dad. Actually, you don't. How old are you? You must be like 30, you're so tall. You want to play with me? We could play horses!"

Cain's face looked absolutely, positively lost, and I really had to make an effort to keep from laughing at him. "Make yourselves comfortable." Mervyn chuckled, as an afterthought, seeing that we were all still standing. He started to make his way to the kitchen, and on the way there, walked directly into a wall. He looked around, dazed and a little embarrassed, and met my eyes. I bit my lip when I smiled, hoping I wasn't blushing but knowing I was.

Melanie climbed up to the seat of my chair. She leaned in conspiratorially to whisper to me. "Are you my brother's girlfriend?"

I couldn't answer for a second. "Um, well, I guess I... Yeah, I am." I said. She nodded, but didn't leave.

"Do you like him a lot?" she asked, in the typical innocent little kid way. I nodded this time.

"Do you like him this much?" She stretched out her arms as far as she could. I nodded again, definitely blushing. I still really liked the kid. She was cute. She had really wide, sparkly brown eyes, the same colour as Mervyn's, and Black hair, rough like Mervyn's and pulled into a cute little pigtail.

"Good, coz I like him that much too. Wanna be friends?" I chuckled.

"Sure, I'd love to!" I told her. Her eyes lit up and she bounced a little, pretty much on my lap now. Mervyn came back from the kitchen, carrying different things, like sodas and chips.

"Okay, Mel, you might be a little too close there." He told her. He put all the stuff on his table, picked her up with one hand, and dragged a chair over for her with the other. He plunked her down there and put a soda can in her lap. She looked at it, then stretched out her hands to give it back. He took it and opened it for her, mussed her hair up, and then found a seat of his own. If I hadn't been in love with him before, I decided, then I would have fallen for him right there and then. There was just something in his eyes when he looked at her- Melanie, I mean- that absolutely... I can't describe it, but it's wonderful.

"Mik? You there?" Meggie asked me.

"Huh?" I asked. I hadn't been paying attention. Meggie chuckled, looking from me to Mervyn. He was spaced out just like I was, but that was pretty normal for him.

"You two will be the death of me." Meggie said, seemingly to herself, but with a teasing edge in her tone that made it clear she was talking to me. Mervyn took offence. They proceeded to bicker like siblings for a few minutes. Melanie wriggled around a little bit, and then settled into what seemed to be sleep. I looked down at her, not sure what to do.

"Don't worry, she sleeps like a rock." He told me, at regular volume, with an indulgent tone and a gentle smile at the sleeping figure. He looked around then. "Where are Hazel and Cain?"

Meggie answered this time. "You probably don't want to know." There was a small pause, before she saw Hazel getting another soda from the kitchen. "Well, speak of the devil. What are you and Cain up to?" Hazel didn't hear, I guess. Maybe she ignored her. Out of habit, I checked my watch. It was 3:30. I had time.

Mervyn stood. "Give me a minute, I want to take this one to her room." He scooped little Melanie into his arms as is she weighed as much as a pillow. For some reason, he stared at me a little too long, and I self-consciously adjusted my shirt. He caught himself, apologised, and disappeared for a while.

I sighed and smiled. How sweet.