Fake Eyes are all the Rage

Cain POV

Senior year. Whoa. We only had one more year of high school. This was our year on the top, to really leave an impression that would last on this school. Of course, with friends like mine, that would not be hard at all.

Mikelah was occupying a corner of the hallway, holding a stack of papers. "Mikelah Grace for student body president... Vote for me for student body president... Hey, could you vote me for student body president? Thanks!"

I hailed her out. "Starting a little early, aren't you, Mik?" She grinned at me. She had a very squeaky-clean look for the first day. A blue baby doll dress, flat shoes with little bows on them, and a neat braid in her hair. That paired with her natural innocence, and she looked more like a freshman than a senior.

"Nah, this isn't staring early." She replied. "Starting early would be the set of posters I've been designing since sophomore year." She poked her tongue out, and then turned back to the posters she was handing out. "Hey, Chrissy! You'll vote for me, right? Here, take a poster."

I left her to that, and went to collect my new timetable. A little late, seeing as 1st and 2nd periods were already gone, but... better late than never, right? That was my motto.

****************

Savannah POV

I looked around, feeling horribly like a 1st grader in a new big school. Just random new faces, strolling up and down the halls, buzzing like bees, completely oblivious to me. I felt like I was shrinking, to the size of a bug, like someone would step on me any minute. I clutched onto my backpack for dear life, and braved the next corner.

"Vote for me for student body president!" A girl sunnily told me, handing me a flyer. I forced a smile onto my face. Don't count on it. I glanced at the girl, and then did a double take. She was a senior? She looked like a 14 year old girl experimenting with makeup for the first time. She had big blue eyes- way too much eyeliner, but then, I wasn't a big patron of makeup in general-, brown hair, was at least 3 inches shorter than me, and was dressed up. Definitely a prep. I hoped that she was the only one running, because if she was... my task would be a lot easier. I found my way to the cafeteria, and got in the line.

Holding my lunch tray, I scanned the room for an empty bench. After a while, I gave up on that, and decided to just take my lunch tray outside. With all the luck I had, guess who I just had to run into? Yep, the barbie doll.

"Oh God, don't tell me you're the new kid here." She groaned. What a welcome party, huh? I smiled at her.

"Well, I won't tell you if you'd like, but you know it's still gonna be true." I would have folded my arms, if it weren't for the tray. "You can understand that, right blondie?"

She scowled at me, obviously she couldn't come up with a good response. "You know," I added, "I'd love if you could tell me where you bought those contacts. Fake eyes are all the rage these days."

She practically turned red. "My eyes are natural." She began, dully. "My mother.." she winced, but I'm not sure why. "... My mother has the same eyes, and she passed them onto me. Purple eyes come from blood vessels showing through very pale blue irises, now if we could get back to the issue at hand?"

I grinned, enjoying driving her up the wall. "Whatever you have to tell yourself is fine with me." I winked. Fake. They were fake. She was fake.

She turned on her heel and stormed off to a table. I laughed to myself, thinking that high school suddenly wasn't so bad. I was strolling out of the cafeteria when I ran into him again. Mervyn. Everybody goes to this school, huh? I ducked out of his way before he could recognise me, and left the cafeteria. Looking back, I have no idea why I did that. He was the only person I knew (and didn't despise) in the whole school.

The outside of the school was pretty quiet. No companionship for me today. But that was okay, because I sort of liked it that way. I sat down on the grass, and enjoyed my lunch while gazing into the empty air.

****************