Entry #44: Rose Dust (Part 1)

I once again find myself within the large meeting chamber, my feet planted on the shimmering black tiles. It is still the same room from before, with its simple yet elegant appearance. If there is anything I have learned about the culture of Talyyn, it is that they pride themselves on appearance and reputation. They do not feel the need for extravagance as we humans do, preferring to only make things appear…presentable.

Kain certainly doesn’t seem to be concerned about appearances this time around. I find it a bit surprising that his silver hair is a tad disheveled, with stray strands sticking up here and there. I wonder if time has passed since the last memory, as he seems thinner and appears weaker than before. His illness must be taking hold, although he hasn’t nearly reached the state Kaiya’s mother was in.

There are light shadows underneath his icy blue eyes, as though he has not been getting enough sleep. His eyes do not appear tired, though. They are filled with a bit of concern. He is anxious about something, and definitely impatient. His fingers dance along the armrest of his chair, filling the room with incessant tapping noises. His right foot also bounces up and down; a nervous habit no doubt.

Iza stands in front of her mirror, electric green eyes looking away from the glass to give Kain a curious stare. She is not as impatient as he is. Well...I guess she could be, but if she is, she doesn’t show it. Her stance is relaxed and she stands still as she occupies herself by staring into the mirror. The only feasible sign of impatience is when she begins to fiddle with a loose string on the corset of her dress.

“What on earth is taking her so long?” Kain mutters, never taking his eyes off of the set of double doors.

Iza snaps the string off of her corset before replying, “Patience, mi’lord. She was sent near Nocturnal after all. It is not a short trip, even for someone of her speed.” Are they speaking of Kaiya? If so, I wonder what the reason for her visit is. A lupine would not be so well received there.

“I am aware of that, but she should have returned by now. The sun has almost set.”

A knowing smirk crosses Iza’s normally expressionless face, sending chills down my spine. It is so unusual to see her with such a look that it has a startling effect on me. Without staring up at Kain, she responds, “Getting worried, are we?”

At her comment, his fingers stop their dance on the armrest and his hand grips the edge of it tightly. He pries his eyes away from the doors for a moment to glare at the dragoon woman, who pays him no mind. She stares at her reflection in the glass with a smug expression her face. It is a self-confident look; one a person bears when they know they are correct.

“N-no! I am not worried. I want that fool apprehended; he has been leading us on a wild goose chase for far too long.” Sure, his voice is confident and lined with plenty of truth, but his eyes tell a different story. Iza knows this, for her smirk does not vanish.

“Yes, we all want him taken care of. Once he is captured, a thorn will be removed from your side. But you are also concerned about the girl’s well-being. Do not deny it.”

Kain averts his gaze away from Iza, clearly not wanting to continue dwelling on this topic. She has hit the nail on the head; that much is certain. It is enough for him to appear rather flustered and his pale face seems to color just slightly. The expression vanishes as quickly as it came, but it did not go unnoticed. Interesting…

No one addresses it further as both of the large metal doors swing open on their hinges at a swift pace. It must have taken a great deal of strength to open them, so it seems only natural when a towering wolf pads into the room. The threshold is barely big enough for her massive form to move through. She doesn’t have to squeeze in, as she is thin enough, but she has to duck her head in order to pass through. Fortunately, the room is huge, so she fits in just fine. The hall and foyer outside are also big enough, so I don’t have to wonder how on earth she got in here.