Entry #31: Forest Green

Serpent’s Hold isn’t the biggest fortress out there, so it makes me wonder how it could possibly defend against a heavy onslaught of enemies. Its size is similar to that of a small mansion, making it seem rather insignificant and non-threatening. Did its builders even intend for it to be a battle fortress? It’s no wonder they needed reinforcements. Bright green banners hang from the ramparts, bearing a golden snake coiled up in a circle and staring upward at the heavens. Beside these are the red banners of Dragon’s Maw, flapping in the gentle wind that blows through. Well, at least they have pride in their meager fort.

I am standing beside Gabriel on the outside of the fort. The gates of the hold are shut tight behind us, to keep out unwanted ‘guests’. He is standing amongst a large number of knights gathered in a crowd around the gates. Séaryne is standing beside him, katana drawn and held tightly in her gloved hands. Every single knight has their weapons drawn, including Gabriel, armed with his longsword and shield.

The tension and anticipation here is so thick, I can almost touch it. The silence here is so loud; it sends chills up my spine. The pounding of my heart echoes in my ears. I’m not even participating in this battle, but I can feel it. The paranoia, the anxiety, it’s all here, covering the battlefield in an impenetrable shroud.

I notice Séaryne’s brothers Alain and Dashiell amongst the knights. Alain is rocking back and forth on his heels, nervous. Dashiell, on the other hand, manages to maintain his composure, standing straight as a board. Gabriel would be succumbing to this tension too, but it seems like Séaryne’s presence beside him puts him at ease. He looks at her, and she smiles reassuringly at him for a moment. They are so happy together, I can tell. I hope both of them survive this battle.

If there even is going to be one. There are no demons on the battlefield. Zero. The wide open plain is empty. Their absence is what is causing all this tension. The knights were here because they responded to a distress call from the hold, right? There was utter chaos at Dragon’s Maw because demons were attacking. So where are they? There is a bit of forest land on the Talyyn side of the border. Could they be hiding there? From my perspective, it doesn’t look like it.

After a few moments of waiting, Séaryne sticks her katana into the ground and leans on it, looking a bit angry. “Alright, I’m starting to think this is a case of ‘the boy who cried wolf’.”

Gabriel and a few knights around her nod their heads in agreement, murmuring to themselves. A few of them take in deep, relieved sighs and relax.

“I wonder who sent the summons? They’re going to get an earful,” Gabriel says to his fiancé.

“I hope they get slapped with guard duty for a whole month,” she replies, frowning out at the deserted battlefield. She doesn’t seem fully convinced that the threat is gone. Her azure eyes scan their surroundings, especially the forest lands in Talyyn.

“Is something wrong, love?” Gabriel asks, sounding a bit concerned.

Séaryne shakes her head. “Nah, it’s nothing,” she replies as she returns her sword to its scabbard. Her eyes drift to the knights trying to signal to the gatehouse, urging them to open the gates. “Come on; let’s go get a bite to eat.”

Gabriel nods and they walk side by side to the gates. The tall iron doors start to creak open on their rusted hinges at a rather slow pace. The knights all stare up at them, as if they are willing them to open faster.

Then, the new found peace is broken when the poison arrow strikes a knight.

It sinks straight into his neck with startling accuracy. Time seems to move in slow motion as he falls to the ground with a stunned look on his face. I can hear the poison sizzle as it burns away his flesh, like a powerful acid. A few shouts can be heard from the parapets on the gatehouse and the gates slam shut. Archers up top nock arrows in their bows and aim in the direction the arrow flew from.