Entry #17: Caribbean Green

Once again, I find myself within the halls of the great cathedral. There are no people to be seen in this narrow, dimly light corridor. It would be silent if not for the rain pounding against the windows. I hear the low rumble of thunder in the distance, followed by a long, bright streak of lightning. When I was younger, I would think the booms of thunder were some large monster awakening from a long slumber. The noises were his growls as he came to wreak havoc upon us. That is not true, of course, but nowadays I find it fun to imagine such things.

The door to the library is propped open, letting extra light spill into the dim hall. I peer through the threshold, curious as to what I would find. The room is alight with fire from a large hearth, covering the walls with an orange glow. A girl is sitting beside it, in a rocking chair. A large tome is sprawled out across her lap. Her fingers hover over the edges of the pages, ready to turn them.

I remember her from an earlier memory. What was her name? Alida? Yes, that’s about right. In the last memory, she was taken away by church guards for being a Seer. This must be an earlier memory then, as she is sitting in the library in peace. 

I hear footsteps echo in the hall, getting louder and louder each second. I turn my head and see Joshua striding down the hall, clad in his white and purple church robes. He holds a candle in one hand. It illuminates his face, casting eerie shadows upon it. He appears a bit sleepy, yawning as he steps into the library.

“What are you still doing up, Alida? The head priest will be angry with you when he sees your bed empty,” Joshua comments to his sister as he sets the candle down on a desk.

She merely smiles, not looking up from her book. “I couldn’t sleep, with the thunder and all. I came to do a bit of reading.”

Her brother sighs, resigned, as if he knows there is no arguing with her. “You’re just lucky I noticed before anyone else did.”

“Calm yourself. The storm will end two minutes after the eleventh bell toll. I will return then, alright?” She gives him such a sweet, innocent face that prevents him from disagreeing with her.

How is she able to pinpoint exactly when the storm will end? She is too young to have any major skill in detecting weather patterns. But even the most talented of meteorologists cannot predict when a storm will cease. Not unless she can view the future. That’s impossible… I’ve never heard of such a ridiculous thing.

He doesn’t seem unfazed by her uncanny prediction. In fact, he behaves as though it is a normal occurrence. His response is a frustrated, “Fine, until the storm ends. Then it’s off to bed, understand?” She nods with a merry smile. Her brother smiles back, seeming to enjoy his little sister’s pleasure. He eyes the book on her lap and says, “What are you reading?”

“A novel about South Reach. It says that in the summer their beaches are spectacular. It even has some illustrations! Take a look!” she responds with much enthusiasm. Joshua steps behind her rocking chair and eyes the picture she pointed out. It is a wonderful drawing, carefully sketched in black ink. The waves are rolling in onto the beach, some already crashing into the sands. The illustrator even included seagulls, seafaring vessels, and beachgoers enjoying the sun and surf. Whoever drew this picture paid incredible attention to detail.

I’ve never seen South Reach outside of pictures. Their beaches are supposed to be one of the most beautiful places in the country. The city itself is known for its artsy, frivolous nature. I’ve heard they value their appearances and reputation more than anything else. Anyone seeking to be an artist goes there, as there is so much beauty to be found.

“Why the sudden interest in South Reach?” Joshua asks, staring down at her.

“I want to go there, someday. We’ve never left this uptight, old city. I want to go somewhere beautiful, peaceful. Like the beach! We can go together someday, right Joshua?”

Her brother chuckles at her innocence. “Yes, maybe someday. Perhaps when you’re not drowning in schoolwork, we can go.”

“And when your mentor isn’t making you do all his work, right?”

His response is riddled with laughter. “Yes, exactly.”

Alida’s face lights up even more, her gentle eyes shimmering with delight. “That’s a promise, right brother?”

“Of course.”

Just then, the church bell tolls eleven times. Each ring is a low, warm, rich sound that echoes inside the library. Peals of thunder shake the room following the bell tolls. Alida closes her book as the thunder pauses for a moment.

“I think I will go to sleep now, brother. The storm has almost ended and I am feeling a bit tired,” she says in a soft tone.

“Alright then. I’ll walk you back to your bedchamber.”

Alida stands up and returns the book to one of the enormous book shelves. Joshua holds out his arm, allowing her skinny limb to link with his. With his free hand, he picks up the candle he left on the desk before they step out into the hall. As they disappear down the corridor and the echo of their footsteps ceases, I hear one last quiet rumble from the storm. Then, silence permeates the church.

-------------------------------------

A/N: So, theme #17 was "caribbean green". Seeing the word 'caribbean' instantly reminded me of the sea and beaches (and also a certain movie about pirates...). So, I introduced South Reach in this chapter.

Please leave a comment! :D