Entry #5: Asparagus

I am once again in the forest, standing beside the cave where the two demons live. This time, it is evening. The sky is a radiant mixture of red, orange, yellow, and pink as the sun sinks beneath the horizon. Stars are beginning to twinkle one by one. I can smell fire from within the cave, the scent combining with that of the forest. 

I enter the cave, seeing Kaiya and her mother as expected. Her mother is leaning against the wall of the cave, using a needle and thread to sew patches into torn clothing. She  is looking a bit healthier than the last time I saw her, although she still has that sickly look about her. Kaiya is sitting in front of the fire, head resting on her knees. Amber eyes gleam in the firelight, mesmerized by the dancing flames. On occasion, she reaches over to the pot dangling over the fire, stirring its contents. I can smell cooking vegetables, making my stomach rumble.

"Hey mom?" Kaiya asks as she cooks dinner, not bothering to look at her mother.

The woman looks up from her sewing project and eyes her daughter. "What is it?"

"I met this strange guy out in the forest today. He wasn't a lupine like us. Said he came from Talyyn."

Kaiya's mother stiffens, dropping her sewing needle onto her lap. As she picks it up, she responds, "Talyyn? Are you sure?" 

I had assumed from my observations that Kaiya and her mother, were Bestia. This breed of demon takes on animal characteristics, ranging from felines, to reptiles, to avians. But lupine demons? I never would have guessed. Lupine demons have been extinct for centuries, so these memories must be ages old.

The demons of Talyyn are known for their vicious nature. These are the ones that attack humans without reason.  The most  powerful and influencial ones are from the capital city of Nocturnal. I could not say what one looks like; I've never seen one. Regardless of race, why would demons be wary of each other? Perhaps in the same way we humans fear each other.

"Yes. I know, you told me it's bad up there. I ditched him, alright? No need to worry," she assures, though her mother seems less than convinced. I find this understandable. After all, she is a mother, and no matter the age of her child she will always be concerned with her well-being.

"Make sure you never run into this man again, understand?" she says sternly, pointing the needle at her daughter.

"Of course mom! I'm not a kid anymore; I know that the guys from Talyyn are bad news. It's like you said. No one trusts us, and they would rip us apart. I'll keep my distance."

"Good. Be careful next time you go out."

The following moments are rather silent, making me uneasy. Kaiya reaches a carved wooden ladle into the pot and spoons vegetables into a small bowl. Inside are cooked asparagus, carrots, onions, a large variety of vegetables. Mother and daughter eat in silence, not once speaking to each other. Are things always this tense between them?

I exit the memory before I can learn anything else, still smelling cooked vegetables…

-------------------------------

A/N: Hungry yet? Theme #5 was 'asparagus', so I instantly thought of cooked vegetables. So, here's some conversation over dinner. Comments?