Chapter 27

Chapter 27: 

I can hear the mutts in close pursuit of my aching legs as I push myself to run even faster into the forest. I don't even know where I'm heading; I'm just trying to survive for as long as I can. I can't help but wonder, is it worth surviving? What's waiting for me at home? Nothing. My brother and my mother will mourn for a while but eventually move on. I've seen it happen to every family that has lost a child to the Games. They still seem slightly broken afterwards though; I guess you can never really get over the death of a loved one. 

Is that why I'm still thinking of Clove? 

I have to keep focused; it's the only way I can survive. Do I want to win though? There's no point if I return on my own. I know I'll bring disrespect to my district, but I just don't see any point in pretending to be okay when I return. I'll never be okay again, not without Clove. 

We were supposed to win together, but now it'll just be me by myself. 

I run past tree after tree, desperately seeking somewhere safe to think for a while. But, of course, there is no place that I can find. The only place I can think of is the Cornucopia, but the other tributes will most likely be there. I guess the Hunger Games has no room for thinking, only killing. 

Making a quick decision, I steer my course to the Cornucopia. Behind me, the beasts growl ferociously and howl into the night. I have no idea how many there are, in fact, I don't want to know. I just want them to disappear. 

As if reading my minds, the loud noises behind me cease suddenly and I turn to find that the dangerous wolfish creatures had gone. I glance around cautiously, immediately growing suspicious. Why would they make them disappear when they're about to have a great show? 

And then I realise why. 

Straight across from me, Katniss and Peeta are walking through the forest, unaware of my close proximity to them. It also seems that they are unaware of the mutts existence as they seem calm, walking through the forest as though they have all the time in the world.  

Suddenly, as expected, a muttation jumps out of a pile of sticks beside me, making the only course available for me straight where Katniss and Peeta are. Hopefully the mutts will kill her so that I don't have to. I can't forget about my family's safety or President Snow's threat. That would be selfish of me to forget. 

I take off running in the direction of the other tributes, hoping that the beasts will get to them before they can process what's happening. I know that I've shocked them, as they jump in surprise as I dash through the trees, nearly knocking them over in the process. Confusion crosses their faces as they realise that I am running from them, not towards them. Then, they spot the wolfish beast and, without hesitation, quickly follow after me. 

I know where I'm heading. I know where it must all end. What is going to happen tonight, I do not know. I just hope that I get to be wherever Clove is by tonight. I don't think I can spend another day without her, as cheesy as it sounds. 

The Cornucopia appears suddenly, making my footsteps speed up. Unfortunately, I hear two other sets of footsteps speed up from behind me. I almost forgot about Katniss and Peeta.  

Eventually, I reach the Cornucopia at the same time as the other two, immediately climbing to the top. The heat from the metal scalds my hand and I scream in pain, attempting to climb faster. As soon as I reach the top, I lie down and watch what's happening around me.  

Peeta is struggling to climb the Cornucopia as the beasts leap at him, attempting to climb too. Katniss is shooting arrows at the mutts, getting every one of them. I must say, I'm impressed with her accuracy. 

I lie on my back and stare up at the pitch black sky, picturing Clove's face once again. 

That is when I made my decision; I have to be with her.