Chapter 23

Chapter 23: 

Clove's POV: 

"Cato, you look sick." I state, glancing at his pale face every so often. It worries me that he's grown so sick that he's unable to stand without collapsing instantly. We haven't eaten in days, mostly because I know that he would be too sick to defend himself against anything that might attack him whilst I'm gone. 

Slowly and hesitantly, I press my hand against his forehead, immediately feeling a shot of pain course through my arm. I pull my hand back quickly and let out a small shriek. "Cato, you're burning up!" 

I shouldn't care if he was getting sick, I really shouldn't. Even though the announcement that took place a few days ago had raised Cato's hopes, it just caused mine to drop even further. I felt so tempted to win with Cato and disobey President Snow's orders, I couldn't though. 

Cato was ecstatic when he heard that two tributes, if from the same District, could become victors. I couldn't help but celebrate along with him.

*Flashback*

"Did you hear that, Clove?" Cato asks in excitement as the announcement came to an end. Yes, I had heard that we both had a chance of winning together. No, I was not happy about it. I knew that, even though the announcement had said that we could win together, there was no chance of that happening. I had to kill Cato, whether I like it or not. 

To be honest, I hated it. 

"We can win together, Clove! We can actually win this!" He shouts, scooping me up into a hug. I tried to manage a small smile, even though my heart was breaking. I really don't want to have to kill him, especially not now. I'll feel like I've betrayed him, which I will have. Betrayed him, I mean. 

"Yeah, we really can." I lie, trying not to let my tears spill. I bury my face into his shoulder, trying to enjoy the little amount of time that I had left with him.

*Present Time*

"What do I do? I don't know what to do!" I know that he can't survive for much longer, especially without food. Why do I care if he dies? Shouldn't I just bid him farewell and take off into the woods, never to see his face again. Of course not, I care too much to just let him die out here alone. 

Cato places his hand on my face, attempting to calm me down, I suppose. He doesn't know the effect that he has on me every time he's close to me. My heart races as I feel his skin come into contact with mine and I allow myself to relax into his hold. His arms wrap around me, pulling me towards him until there is no space between us. 

"Clove," Cato mumbles, looking into my eyes with an intense stare. "Don't worry about me, Clove." A memory quickly surfaces, causing me to shiver in fear. 

President Snow is watching. He wants me to do it, right now. 

I pull away quickly, leaving Cato looking hurt and shocked at the same time. I had to do this though. 

I have to do this for my family. 

"Maybe you should get some rest." I mumble, not looking him in the eyes. There's no mistaking the sad look on his face, causing my heart to drop even further. He slowly nods his head, lying back down and closing his eyes. After a few minutes, I hear him snoring slightly and know that I have to do this now. 

It's now or never. 

I tiptoe towards my backpack that's sat, unused, for days. How long it's been since Marvel died, I don't know. You lose track of the time when you're in the arena. 

I reach into the bag and grab out my weapon; a long, sharp knife. Stealthily, I make my way over to Cato's sleeping figure and hold the knife against his throat, not yet applying pressure to it. Without wanting to, I find myself thinking over the time that I've known Cato for. I'd always watched him train at the Academy and I'd always admired him. He always had a fighter spirit and it was clear that he was going to win the Games. 

Well, until now. 

I slowly add pressure to the knife, closing my eyes and trying to will myself on.  

I can't do it. I can't just kill him, not after all that we've been through. I know it seems weak; I've just never wanted to hurt him. Ever. Even if he hurt me in the biggest way, I wouldn't be able to harm him in anyway. It doesn't matter that President Snow threatened to kill my family; I wouldn't be able to do it anyway. As much as I want to be able to stop worrying, I can't hurt Cato. If I do, I will never forgive myself.

*Flashback*

"I want you to do me a favour, little girl." President Snow told me, causing me to scowl angrily at him. 

"There's no way that I'm helping you! I'd rather die than help you!" I scream at him, not caring who hears me.

"Well, you might rather die, but she wouldn't." He chuckled, gesturing to a large curtain in a corner of the room. Without hesitation, he pressed down on a small, yellow button and the curtain dropped to the floor. I instantly let out a shriek, running towards the glass tube. 

"Gemma!" I scream, hitting the glass tube repeatedly. My sister's frightened eyes look up at me, widening in shock at the sight of me. "Gemma, are you okay?" I pound down on the glass in a desperate attempt to get her out. She doesn't respond, giving me a sad look instead. 

"I always thought that we needed another Avox." President Snow says, laughing loudly. My mouth drops open in shock and tears spill out of my face. I collapse to the floor, sobbing uncontrollably. 

"Well, you'd probably better listen to me now." He shouts angrily at me, walking to my collapsed figure. He reaches out an arm, pulling me up and forcing me to face the glass tube that held my favourite person in the world. My baby sister. 

"I want you to kill Cato!" He yells, sounding impatient and sick of my sobbing. I collapse to the floor again, looking up at Gemma in pure sadness. President Snow reaches into his pocket and pulls out a remote. 

"This is what happens when you don't obey me!" He shouts, spewing blood everywhere as he speaks. He pushes down on a large, red button which causes the glass tube to turn into a grater. I watch, crying loudly, as my little sister is shredded to pieces.

*Present Time*

I let out a loud scream, dropping the knife as if it just burned me. I witnessed my own sister's death. Why didn't it seem real until now?  

Beside me, Cato jerks awake and stares around in fear. 

"Clove?" He yells to the forest, unknowing that I'm right here. 

Hesitantly, I reach my hand out and stroke Cato's hair, calming down at the feel of it running through my fingers. He jumps but soon relaxes as he realises that it's just me. 

"I'm right here, Cato," I say soothingly, feeling broken on the inside. I can't let Cato see me broken, he'll only break apart too. "I'll always be right here." 

The sound of trumpets blaring causes me to jump, listening to the announcement in curiosity. 

A look of determination crosses over my face as the announcement slowly comes to an end. If it's a feast they want, it's a feast they're going to get. 

And that's why, without thinking straight, I take off into the woods and towards the Cornucopia, ready for one final fight.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Author's Note: 

Sorry for not updating in ages! I just hadn't really felt up to it. I don't know why though. Well, I hope you liked seeing Clove's POV. Tell me if you did or didn't!

-Emily