Chapter 13

Chapter 13: 

All at once, everyone is running towards the Cornucopia. I quickly join them, catching up immediately with my fast speed. My eyes are searching for the sword that could mean victory and I eventually spot it, hanging on a rack that is similar to the ones from the training room. I pick up my pace and head in the direction of the racks. Blood spurts across my face and I suddenly realise that I'm in the middle of a bloodbath. I run even faster and grip the sword firmly in my hands.  

A few metres away, trying to hide behind a stack of food supplies, is a young boy with curly hair. "Do it for your family, Cato." I whisper to myself before running up and swiping my sword at the young boy's face. He drops dead instantly, blood pouring from the wound on his neck. I take a deep breath and look around the area. Clove's eyes meet mine and she gestures for me to follow her towards the lake. I hold up my hand, signalling for her to wait, whilst my eyes roam the blood-covered area for Katniss Everdeen. 

I spot her running towards a backpack on the ground and quickly run towards her. Clove sees me heading over to her and immediately follows, overtaking me with ease. She aims her knife at Katniss and throws it towards her; she must have been distracted though as it hit another girl that was struggling to get the same backpack. The girl she hit with the knife slowly drops to the ground, blood coating the grass beneath her still body. Clove runs even faster towards Katniss as she runs into the forest, clutching the orange backpack tightly. At least it'll be bright and stand out at night. 

A knife flies out of Clove's hand and heads right towards Katniss' head. Just as the knife was about to hit her, she holds the orange backpack up to her face, causing the knife to become stuck in the backpack. She quickly escapes, leaving Clove and I standing at the edge of the forest with an astounded look on our faces. Glimmer and Marvel come running up to us from behind and quickly pull us towards the lake.  

"Let's set up camp, most of the tributes are either dead or have gone to hide out in the woods. Tomorrow, we have to go find and kill them." Glimmer says as she tries to light a fire. She is failing miserably and I laugh teasingly at her attempts. Clove rolls her eyes and takes over Glimmer's place of lighting the fire. 

"This fire will attract the other tributes to our camp. Then we can kill them." Marvel speaks up as soon as the fire is blazing. There's a look of sadness in his eyes as he says this. Who can blame him? We don't choose to kill other children; we have to. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 

Hours later, I am sitting and watching the fire slowly fade as everybody sleeps around me. Tomorrow, I have to try and kill Katniss Everdeen. 

I hear the sound of teeth chattering beside me and look down to see Clove shivering, goose bumps coating her arms and legs. I quickly grab a blanket out of the pile of supplies that we managed to retrieve from the Cornucopia and wrap it around her. The shivering soon stops and I give a sigh of relief. I smile at her as she lightly begins to snore; she's so cute when she sleeps.  

I mentally slap myself for being so creepy and turn back towards the fire. The beeping of a parachute behind me grabs my attention and I slowly make my way towards it. I grab the parachute and slip it open, being careful not to wake the others. My shoulders slump in disappointment as I see that the only thing in the parachute is a small slip of paper. Sighing, I open it and begin to read. 

Don't be getting a little too close to Clove. Who knows what could happen in an arena as dangerous as yours. Remember, I'll be watching you. 

-President Coriolanus Snow. 

My heart races in pure fear as I tear the letter up slowly. I can't show him that he's gotten to me; I can't let him win this game. I have to protect Clove from getting hurt and I know just how to do it. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Author's Note: 

Hey! I hope you liked this chapter. It is the official first day of holidays! Yay! That means that I'll be updating more often. Please vote, comment and fan if you liked it and don't be afraid to tell me what you think! 

-Emily :)