Chapter 11

Chapter 11: 

I wanted to hit him. I really did. Even that wouldn't be enough though. Not after all the things that he has done. He needed to be punished; severely. I clenched my fists by my side, knowing that there was nothing I could do to stop him. He would torture my entire family right in front of my eyes, just like he did with Johanna. I will do everything I can to bring the Capitol down; not just for me but for everyone. 

"Tell me, Cato, did you really think that you could act like that to the Capitol and get away with it. We are always watching." He yelled, whispering the last sentence. It caused me to shake with fear and I could feel his intense gaze on mine.

"Always watching."  

"What do I have to do for you to leave my family alone?" I asked nervously. I was worried what his answer would be. He smiled evilly and leant forwards in his chair, staring me down as if he was the cat and I was the mouse.  

"I want you to kill Katniss Everdeen. If you kill her, I will leave your family alone." He replied, fidgeting in his seat. It shocked me to see him so uncomfortable; he was the most powerful man in all of Panem, why would a girl from District 12 worry him? All I wanted was to see my family safe and sound so, of course, I said yes instantly. Maybe if I die before her, he won't kill my family. I doubt it; he obviously wants her dead for some strange, unknown reason.  

He smiles at me, trying to hide his relief. "Well, now that that's all settled... You can go back to your room, the Games start very soon." He tells me, smiling evilly. I'm not surprised to see that the idea of young children fighting to the death excites him; he's pure evil. I still cannot shake the images of the poor young girl as she was slowly lowered into the shredder. Those images will scar me for life, I just know it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Cato, are you okay?" Clove asked, shaking my shoulder gently. I stopped playing with my food to look up at her momentarily before returning my gaze to the dinner before me. Usually, I would take advantage of the large amounts of food given to me in preparation for the Games but I lost my appetite recently. Memories of the torturous video flash into my head every second of the day making it almost impossible to smile. 

"Yeah. I guess I'm just nervous about the Games today." I answer quietly. Avalius and Lorielle were off preparing for the Games to begin so Clove and I were by ourselves this meal. 

"Yeah, me too." She replied, attempting to settle my nerves. I knew that Clove was most likely going to win, I had no chance. Although, if I wasn't going to win I would definitely want Clove to. We've grown closer since the reaping; I'd even consider us friends. Too bad only one of us can come out, I really wish that I could've had more of a chance to be her friend. 

I stood up quickly; feeling overwhelmed just thinking about the Games. Hurriedly, I walked towards the door without glancing behind me. I felt Clove's presence behind me and turned at the sound of her voice. 

"Cato, wait." She whispered softly. I pulled her into a hug, stroking her head to comfort her as she cried into my shoulder. Slowly and hesitantly, she craned her neck up so that her eyes met mine and eventually our lips met. I stood, shocked, as Clove kissed me gently. Then, she pulled me into a deeper kiss which she eventually broke after we became out of breath. 

A silent tear fell down her cheek and landed on my palm which was still holding her neck softly. 

"I-I'm sorry. I just had to try that before the Games." She told me, her voice slightly cracking at the mention of the Games. Then, without another word, she dashed through the doors leaving me speechless and slightly stunned.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Author's Note: 

Ooooh ;) Cliffhanger! Hope you liked it! 

-Emily :)