David

It's the year of 1660. And life as Sheila knew it was going as normal as it could in this era. She had recently turned 15, perfect age for marriage. And in her family there was no endless limit on men that wanted her hand in marriage.
Sheila's father was dead set on her getting married and soon, of course Sheila was against it, who wouldn't be; but she knew it was her fate.

She had to make her parents proud, after all she was an only child and they had to make sure their daughter had a stable and financially set life ahead set of her in case anything ever happened to them.

Sheila's father Henry Tiddot had a candidate in mind, he was rich and had his own business. His name was David Charles and he was the head of a bank that everyone in the state used.
George and Sheila had seen each other a handful of times. But that didn't stop the wedding preparations from going ahead.

Of course Sheila couldn't help but think that David was good looking, but just because he was handsome didn't stop the young girl from being scared. She knew that once she was married she would have to birth children and be the wife David wanted.
Of course Sheila's mother had brought her daughter up to know what to do and what to expect. But hearing stories is nothing like the real thing.

***

Sheila was having her last dress fitting before the wedding, this was the only thing she was allowed an opinion on. It had to be conservative but elegant at the time. As soon as she saw the dress she knew that it was the one. She had that feeling in her heart that screamed at her telling her yes yes yes.

It's certainly a beautiful dress, it wasn't your normal white dress, it was an off blush colour

It's certainly a beautiful dress, it wasn't your normal white dress, it was an off blush colour. Sheila loved that it was simple but it held so much detail at the same time.

"It's beautiful Miss Tiddot, Mr Charles is a very lucky man to have you. I hope it isn't too bold of me to say but i sure hope he makes a great husband for you" Sheila looked over her shoulder at the seamstress. She gave her a warm smile. Sheila certainly hoped he would be a good husband. She could only hope right.

"As do I Miss Elizabeth, As do I" Just then Sheila's mother walked into the dressing room.

"What are you ladies talking about?" Sheila and the seamstress shared a look that thankfully went unnoticed by her mother.

"Nothing mother, I was just saying how excited I was for the wedding" With that Sheila's mother beamed at them. Sheila casted her eyes to the floor. Too many thoughts running through her pretty. She sure hoped that David Charles would be a good husband.

Later that day, the dress was done and now hanging in Sheila's bedroom, mocking her every time she entered. She tried not to over think everything but of course doubts were embedding themselves in her mind. What if he was the kind of husband that would raise his hand to her. Would she allow him to do it, she sure hoped she wouldn't. Would she have the guts to stand up to him.

"Sheila darling, your mother wants you to get freshened up for Dinner. And to also tell you that Mr Charles is coming for dinner. So look pretty"

-*-

(Sheila's POV)

Its the day of the wedding and I was undeniably feeling nervous, I had people running around doing things, plucking hair, applying makeup and just doing things while I stood here silently. They had gotten me into the dress and squeezed the corset around my small bodice; right to the point where it was getting quite difficult to breath but the girls told me to just take small breath.

I had decided that I didn't want anything big doing with my hair, So they left my hair in natural curls down my back, They had laid a diamond tiara on my hair and secured it with pins along with my a veil to match my dress.

When everything was done everyone left the room and left me yet again to my thoughts. Standing in front of the mirror I took in the reflection. Did I want to get married, David was a nice man but I wasn't doing this out of love. I was doing this for my parents and I wasn't sure if that was enough.

As soon as I marry this man, I wont have any freedom that I have now, It will be all about my husband and making him look good. Could I do that?

I had too.

"Miss, It's time" Not uttering a word, I left the bedroom and walked past one of the ladies.

-*-

Here I was, standing beside David Charles about to say I do. We had already said our vows, Nobody had objected; of course nobody was stupid enough to do that.

"Do you David William Charles Take Sheila Marie Tiddot to be your lawful wife" I could feel him looking at me, but I looked ahead at the priest.

"I do"

"Do you Sheila Marie Tiddot take David William Charles to be your lawful husband" This time it was my turn to look at David, But he was already looking at me. He gave me a warm encouraging smile.

"I do"