Appearance

Danae stood by the ocean shores as the moon lit the night sky; her almost see-through white dress flowed with the calm wind. Her hair flowed mid-air as she enjoyed seeing the soothing ocean waves. While watching the ocean waters, a sound was heard from afar. Danae slowly turned around to see where the sound was coming from, but nothing was seen, only rocky hills and the city from afar.

The sound got louder and louder, as if someone was singing. The young woman stilled as she heard the singing; the voice sounded familiar. "It-It can't be..." She wanted to run, but as the singing got louder, her body felt weak, but she also felt a sense of euphoria. Her mind and body felt as if they were floating on clouds. Her legs were feeling wobbly. Her mind was going dizzy, and she lost balance. Her eyes fluttered, trying to stay awake. Danae thought she would fall on the soft sand, but it didn't happen. A strong arm held her waist, refraining her from falling. The singing stopped, and the euphoric sensation slowly died down.

To her shock, Danae slowly opened her eyes and saw someone familiar. "You-"

RING! RING! RING!

"Gah!" Danae breathed heavily as sweat formed and dripped from her neck and forehead. She looked around her surroundings and realized that she was in her room. The young woman was slowly sitting up from her bed and felt her body sore and in pain. The pain, however, was not as bad as the previous night. "That dream." Danae looked at her phone on the cabinet beside her bed; it kept ringing. She turned it off and turned on the television to keep her mind off last night's events. Nothing was on, but she left it on the news to see if something was out of the ordinary. A knock on the door interrupted Danae's thoughts. "Y-Yeah?"

The door opened, and Malia entered; she wore clothes from the previous night. It was noticeable that there were bags under her eyes. "Hey, Malia. Couldn't sleep?"

Malia walked in and sat on the bed with Danae. "No, it was hard to. Also, Akamu's snoring made it ten times more difficult." 

"Can't blame you. Are Akamu and Makoa still asleep?"

"They went to get some breakfast; no one feels like cooking. However, we need some food to keep our strength up." Malia folded her arms together; she bit her lower lip. I heard you talking in your sleep; it seems you were having a nightmare."

Danae massaged her forehead. "I-I don't know if it was even a nightmare. I was standing in front of the ocean and I heard singing."

"Singing?" 

"Yeah, it sounded so beautiful that I felt my body lose strength, and I felt an immense feeling that I never felt before. Everything felt so real."

"Well, that sounded like some dream. Y-"

Malia couldn't finish as she and Danae heard something from the television news that caught their interest. Danae got the remote and raised the volume.

"Breaking news! The body of a female university student was found dead at a park near the University of Hawai'i Maui College! The body was found at 5 am by a man who was having his morning jog with his dog! Upon arrival, police said that the victim suffered a brutal death as she seemed to have been mauled!"

The women sat still; they felt as if their hearts skipped a beat. Danae felt her lips trembling; a person was dead. "M-Malia, d-do you think that...?" When glancing at her friend, she noticed her friend slowly turned pale. 

On the news, it switched to two police officers standing in front of a podium; they had grim expressions. It looked as if they were troubled by what they saw. "The body of the female victim was found brutally mauled in the morning hours of 5 am. However, it was found that the victim became deceased around 2 am. We want to inform the public that we will use all resources and all the manpower that we have to find who is responsible! We also recommend that everyone walk in groups and not go out alone at night!" The news eventually ended as the newscasts spoke about how to be safe and more.

Danae and Malia sat silent, trying to process what they heard. "D-Do you think it was those people?" asked Malia in a silent voice.

"I-I don't know, Malia." She scratched her head. "I-I also released those creatures, and they could..." Danae didn't want to think of the possibility, but she couldn't let it go entirely. "It's my fault..."

Malia got the remote and turned the television off. "L-Look, we don't know exactly what happened, so we can't jump to conclusions. When the guys come back, we can talk about it." She stood up. I need to take a shower. Since you and I are the same size, could I wear some clothes? I'll clean them and return them to you when I return home."

"Sure, go ahead. Take what you need."

Malia got some clothes from the closet, walked out of Danae's room, and went to the restroom. Danae was alone and decided to move her body to gather her strength. Her body released soft cracks; her muscles were sore, but it didn't stop her. As she stood up, a loud thud was heard on the roof. Danae stilled; the noise sounded loud. "Akamu, Makoa?" No one answered as she walked close to her room door, and the shower was heard running. "What is wrong with me? I'm just stressed out."

Then, there was a loud bang from one of her windows; it was opened. The cool morning air entered, making the room cold. "Wh-What the hell!? Wh-Who is there!?" Two hands with long nails were seen through the curtains. A low growl was heard as the figure entered the room. Danae struggled to breathe and speak due to the shock. The figure fell to the floor and let out a soft groan. "N-No way...th-the siren..."

The siren looked at his surroundings until his eyes stopped at Danae; he let out a sharp grin.