Invitation

Danae and Makoa arrived on time at the Coffee Attic cafe, and a waitress tended to them. When they said that Kahlua expected them, they were taken to a table at the far left corner, which was dimly lit. The duo saw Kahlua talking with two of their other friends, Malia and Akamu. When Danae saw Kahlua, she slightly cringed at how much makeup she put on her face; it didn't blend well with her dark olive skin. Her face was so powdered that it made her look like a ghost; without it, she had decent features. However, Kahlua had beautiful light brown eyes that shone whenever light hit them, as did her shoulder-wavy-length hair. The young woman had a thin figure that made her look anorexic; she always wore heels that made her taller than Danae. 

When Kahlua saw them, she stood and smiled. "Danae, Makoa, you guys made it on time too!"

Akamu and Malia stood from their seats, and they all greeted the duo. Akamu and Malia were siblings, twins that were twenty-eight years old. They both had dark olive skin, black eyes, and hair. However, Malia's straight hair went past her bottom with a couple of braids, while Akamu had short, straight hair. Malia had some freckles on her face, while her brother didn't, but did have some scars from training during his time in the Marines. Akamu stood at five feet and eight inches tall, while his sister was two inches shorter; he had a slight muscular build, while Malia had a healthy, thin figure. The twins were good-looking, enjoyed caring for themselves, and had many suitors.

"Well, I'm surprised that you two arrived first. You guys are usually ten minutes late when it comes to these things," giggled Danae.

"Yeah, well, Malia had a goal to beat you guys finally, and shocker, she was right. We haven't ordered yet since we wanted to wait for you guys."

The men sat next to one another while the three women sat on the opposite side. Akamu motioned for the waitress to whom they made their orders. Once the waitress left, the group was left on their own. "So, Kahlua, you sent a message to us that you had an announcement. We've been dying to know what it is," said Malia.

Kahlua took a couple of sips from her glass of water and smiled. "Well, I wanted to let you know I've met someone."

Danae and Makoa looked at one another; annoyance and disappointment were imminent, but they kept a happy face. "Well, that's...good, Kahlua. What is he like, and where did you two meet?"

"Well, since the dating apps suck, I heard on the radio an app called MeetUp where we can meet groups of people in person and to different events of your interest."

"Oh yeah, I've heard about the app too. I know another friend who used it when she met her current boyfriend while going bowling," said Malia.

Kahlua nodded while squealing in excitement. "That's why I signed up. As you know, I like going to bars and clubs, and I met a guy at one of these meetups. His name is Zachery, and he's a handsome hunk. He's so hot but also mysterious."

The waitress arrived with all of their orders, and once she left, they all began to drink and eat dinner. "Well, that's good, Kahlua. I hope you guys hit it off," said Danae while taking a bite of her hamburger.

"Well, that's not all. He said his friends bailed on him since he invited them to a circus. He has a lot of extra tickets that he bought and asked me to invite friends to tag along. I wanted to ask if you guys could come with us."

Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at one another; they looked uncertain. "Well, we don't know this guy, and we never heard that a circus was here on the island," said Makoa.

"He said the circus is on Molokini Island, and only certain people get invites. He said the circus was extraordinary, and only certain people were invited. However, since he says he likes me, he wants my friends to come. So what do you all say?"

Everyone was silent for a moment, but Danae spoke up. "I find it strange that the circus will happen in Molokini Island. That place is like a small crater, and there are always guards who watch over locals and tourists who go to that area."

"I know, but he said that the circus owners are very prepared, and the show will be on by the end of the week, and he will take us to the island on his yacht. So come on, let's be adventurous! Besides, it will allow you to meet him in person."

The friends looked at one another and felt the same way; they didn't want to go. However, they knew that Kahlua would not let them hear the end of it. She will go on social media and rant about her miserable life and her friends being unsupportive. Danae didn't want to befriend Kahlua since she only brought problems and annoyed everyone else. She knew the twins felt the same, but Makoa was the bleeding heart when it came to damaged people; it was his nature. However, if this event was to be a disaster, then she was done.

"Alright, I'll go. It's been a while since I've been to a circus." The twins relented, and Makoa did the same.

Kahlua squealed in excitement. "Great! I will call Zachery, and we will go to the circus by the end of the week!"