Chapter 30

All rights reserved, © 2012

Not edited.

Chapter 30

Estela POV

Perched up on the branch of a tree, I look out into the distance for any sign of Jane, Uncle Bill, and the backup that Bill called for. My ears pick up the sound of feet striking the ground and I smile in relief.  Soon, I’ll have so many familiar faces around me and even though some of the faces may have made my life miserable in school, they are coming here to be with me…to help me.

I had never expected things to turn out this way.  This last week has been full of surprises and shocks. Fortunately, I am alive and even though I am entitled to a nervous breakdown right about now, I feel surprisingly good. And to be completely honest, I am proud of myself.  I had no idea how resilient the mind and body can be.  But I know that the time will come when I will want to let it all out and unload the baggage that I have accumulated during this week.  Just hang on a little longer, Estela. When you are home in mom and dad’s arms then you can lose it and go all ape-shit. Until then just hold it together.  

I smile at my mental ramblings. Things are looking up for me and I cannot help but feel optimistic. Jane’s voice interrupts my thoughts and informs me that she is only a few minutes away. Those must have been her and Uncle Bill’s feet I heard.  Just to make sure, I only begin to climb down from the branch when I see Jane and Uncle Bill in the distance.  One can never be too safe these days.

When they are close enough, I run to them and engulf them both in bear hugs. I cannot help the tears that escape. Happy tears for once…

“Thank you…thank you for finding us.” I tell Uncle Bill.

“I would have come sooner if I knew where to look.” He replies.

“How are mom and dad?” I ask. “I tried to call them but they didn’t answer.”

“You parents are fine…your dad was in the hospital for a few days but he is fine now.”

“What happened?” Jane and I say in unison. I am a little surprised at her concern for my family but I attribute it to her being a good friend.

“He had an anxiety attack. The stress of your disappearance and a few things from the past had him worked up.” Bill says, shooting a sideways glance at Jane before meeting my eyes. 

“Oh?” I ask curious about the exchange of glances.

“You must have called while they were at the hospital. How did you manage to call them?” Bill asks, changing the topic.

I decide to let it go. “One of the boys had a satellite phone on him. I knocked him unconscious and took the phone.”

The thundering sound of feet pounding the ground reaches our ears. All three of us become alert. Uncle Bill is the first to relax and informs us that the backup is approaching. Soon, wolves emerge from the trees and make their way towards us. The sheer number of wolves amazes me. We are sooo going to whoop some butt! Once they have gathered around us they transform into their human forms.

I see so many familiar faces: those of neighbors, classmates, teachers, and town workers… But they are not looking at me. Their eyes glued to Uncle Bill and their faces show shock.

“Alpha! You are alive!” Some of them shout.

“Yes I am. I’m sorry for deceiving you all. It was the only way I could follow the wolves that tried to kill me. I knew they would lead me to Estela.” He explains.