Chapter 7

• Dedicated to mimi, for putting up with my brother

Not edited.

All Rights Reserved © 2012

Chapter 7

Unknown POV

I have to be quiet and I have to be careful. No one knows that I am here and that I am eavesdropping. But, I can see them all clearly. I can see the group of bastards, the family of campers and most importantly, I can see Estela.

She is hiding in the hollow of a tree, her attention focused on the conversation. I feel a pang of guilt. What I would give to make this all go away…to see Estela back in her house, safe and sound.

The forest becomes quiet as both parties leave. My nostrils flare as anger fills my veins and my breathing becomes faster. My eyes become darker and my pupils start to dilate. That only means one thing. I am going to lose myself in my anger.

Not controlling my rage would mean that I would not be able to see reason. I would not be able to think, discern, plan and plot. "The faculties of the mind are what differentiate animals from humans," my 'father' had said, "you don’t see cows building skyscrapers do you?"

No, I cannot become an animal. I cannot afford to let that happen. I am Estela’s only hope. If I am going to take these assholes down I have to control my anger. I will need to be clever and use my judgement.

Anger clouds judgement.

I vow that I will take those pathetic boys down one at a time but first I have to make sure Estela is safe.

My breathing finally calms down and my pupils return back to normal. I have to think of a plan. I am torn. On the one hand, I could go for help but that would involve being away from Estela for a long period. In that time, anything can happen.  What if those jerks find her? What if I can't find her when I come back with help?

No! No, that can never happen. I can’t take the chance. I decide to stay.

I wait for a few minutes before following Estela in the direction of the family. I move slowly and carefully. The last thing I want is to scare Estela more than she already is.  But all I yearn to do is to run to her and engulf her in a hug. And to tell her that I am sorry. So sorry…….

I sigh and continue to follow her from a distance. Just like I have been doing all night.

Estela POV

I cannot see the campers but I can hear their chatter. I follow their voices, which, all of a sudden seem very loud. Maybe it is the headache. Is this what a migraine feels like?

I feel nauseous. I chuckle to myself because there is nothing to throw up. It’s not really funny, but the irony of the situation lightens my mood. I had barely eaten any dinner before the party, new dress and all. For once, I had wanted to look good. I shake my head at myself, a lump forming in my throat.

I fall to my knees as sobs rack through my body. I try to be as quiet as I can.  My shoulders shudder and my whole body vibrates with despair as I let the floodgates open.  I part my cracked lips to let out a cry but my body isn’t able to make a sound. Phlegm drips down my nose and mixes with the salty tears that are falling down my face burning my already dry skin.

My hands grip the soil as if it were a lifeline. My stomach begins to cramp and I can feel the ‘reverse peristalsis’ starting. Mrs. Kemp, my biology teacher would be proud. I dry heave continuously for what seems like minutes. The last thought I have before blacking out is that of hopelessness. The denial, the anger, the bargaining with God to help me, it is all gone.

I am left with a profound pain and immense confusion as I drift away into the dark.

A/N: Please comment. vote or fan if you like my story. Or just drop me a line saying that you are reading my story...it would mean a lot to me. Thanks!