Chapter 10

Not edited.

All Rights Reserved © 2012

 Unknown POV

If only I could have gone to her...I would have pulled her away from the rotting corpse and shielded her from the swarm of flies. I would have held her hair back as she threw up and offered her some water afterward. And I would have told her that she was not alone. I would have told her that I was with her in this godforsaken, twisted game of cat and mouse.

I am relieved to see her looking more composed now, compared to what she had looked like half and hour ago. Screaming had followed the retching and tears had followed the screaming. Tears for an innocent life taken too early, tears for the ordeal the girl must have suffered, and tears of fear and grief at the possibility of her fate being the same as the rotting corpse that lay before her.  I know this, because if it weren’t for the fact that I was in my wolf form, I would have been shedding those same tears.

It has taken me a while to process everything and eventually it is starting to click in my brain. I have a faint recollection of a conversation that had taken place at the breakfast table one morning. The social workers had been discussing the serial disappearance of girls that was taking place in the neighboring town. There had been no evidence; the girls were gone, just like that- without a trace. I bet you my bottom dollar that one of the missing girls is lying right over there.

My brain begins to fabricate many scenarios. Is there anyone else in the forest with us? Not as corpses, but alive? Why hasn't anyone caught on? Why are these idiots roaming free when they should be locked up in a mental hospital? Surely, someone must have seen something. What makes them so untouchable?

The sound of twigs snapping brings me out of my musings. My ears perk up and the brown hairs on my body begin to stand. I can hear several heartbeats in addition to Estela’s and my own. They are headed our way.

There is only one thing left to do. I hope to God she doesn’t scream. Sadly, I have no other choice. I run towards Estela letting her know of my approach. She turns around, her face white and rigid with terror. I hate to do this to her, especially after what she has just been through, but time is not a luxury that we can afford.

I let out a low growl, one that only she can hear as the others are still a good distance away. Like I had hoped, she doesn’t scream but freezes up instead.  I let out a soft bark and bare my teeth.

Run you ninny, I think to myself.  In stead, she does just the opposite. She jumps up and wraps her arms around a tree and begins to climb it. Wolves can climb trees, you idiot!  I stand up on my hind legs, my paws scraping at the tree trunk. This does the trick. She climbs up further and further into the thick branches, albeit with the grace of an elephant.

I stay there, baring my teeth while giving her the most ferocious look I can muster. If I leave now, she may come down and bump right into who ever is headed our way. Just to make sure, I hang around for a few more minutes before I run off to find cover close by.  

I can tell from Estela’s body language that she has seen the group of boys coming toward us. She unzips her backpack and takes out the insect repellent and the Swiss army knife. I watch her curiously as she tucks the repellent into the strap of her bra. She slings the backpack on her shoulders and fastens the belt around her chest and waist. Opening the knife to reveal a blade, she clutches the red base and stabs the air a few times. I hope to God she doesn’t do anything stupid.

We wait a good five minutes for the boys to reach us. When they arrive, the decaying corpse immediately distracts them. I let out an inaudible sigh of relief.

“No way! Dude, are you seeing this?” one of them asks.

“What?” the other asks.

“Look, man. She’s still here,” he replies.

“Who’s still here, bro?”

“That b*tch we killed last time. You see? Right there, bro.” The blond guy points to the corpse.

“Shit!” the lanky one says running his fingers through his hair.

“I know. I thought some animal would have gotten rid of her by dawn just like all the other times” the blond guy answers with a shrug of his shoulders.

The boys look at each other nervously before one of them speaks up. “Well, we can’t leave her here.”

“No shit. Billy, bury the body, and hit me up when you’re back at the base,” the blond guy says throwing Billy a bag before walking off with the two other guys in tow.

Billy kneels down and unzips the duffel bag pulling out a shovel. These guys are seriously prepared and from the sound of things, they have done this many times before. That shovel is meant for Estela…and me… if they ever catch me, that is.

I am beyond angry. But I expect to be able to release it soon. Both Estela and I watch patiently as Billy digs a deep grave for the dead girl. My patience is wearing thin and unluckily for me, Billy is slowing down. Shovel, wipe sweat, shovel, pause…This rhythm continues until the sun is high in the sky.

It seems like it is almost noon when Billy throws down the shovel and pulls out a pair of gloves, putting them on. He drags the remains of the dead girl and dumps it into the makeshift grave. The putrid smell of decay must have gotten to him because next he pulls out a cigarette and lights it, without removing the gloves. This kid is gross. How come sickos like him have no sense of hygiene, whatsoever?  Billy then picks up his rifle and uses the muzzle to scribble on the ground, snickering to himself in between puffs.

This is my opportunity. Stealthily, I make my way so that I end up behind Billy. I let all my pent up anger loose as I leap into the air and onto him, my teeth firmly grasping his neck, his half finished cigarette now lying on the ground. I am about to snap his neck when I hear Estela scream. I am distracted and glance up releasing Billy's neck from my mouth. I realize that I have just made a rookie mistake but the need to make sure Estela is ok is so great that I lose my focus.  Estela is standing on the ground now, only a few feet away from us, waving her knife like a hysterical buffoon. What the heck is she doing?

Seeing opportunity in my distraction, Billy butts me hard in my abdomen with the back end of his rifle. Surprised by the blow, he is able to throw me off and before I can react he picks up his rifle and points it at me.

They say your life flashes before your eyes when you are about to die. But in the few seconds that I wait patiently for death, I do not see my life rewind before my eyes. I do not see my wolf running through the forest, or the moment that I shifted into my wolf for the first time, nor my 16th birthday that took place two years ago. I do not see high school, nor any significant event in my life, for that matter.  Maybe because my mind is focused on only one thought: Billy will kill Estela right after he kills me. And, it is my entire fault. I hear the rifle cocking and close my eyes. And then I hear a loud cracking sound.

A/N: So, what did you think? Please comment, vote, fan or just share with your friends if you like this story. And please recommend a cast!! And to all the silent readers out there....I hope you don't stay silent for too long. : )