Chapter 6

• Dedicated to Pooks, you are such a good friend and I miss you!

Not edited.

All Rights Reserved © 2012

Chapter 6

RECAP FROM CHAPTER 4: Estela POV

But of course, the bad luck that has befallen me is still in place. Because just as I am reaching the hollow, I hear twigs snapping followed by leaves crunching.  Shit! I quietly jump behind the under brush and crawl back into the hollow. I hold my breath and squeeze my eyes shut. If I can’t see them, they can’t see me, right?

*****************************************************************************

My hands search the ground for any object that could act as a weapon while my eyes scan the forest. My fingers close around a palm-sized rock and I bring it close to my body positioning it so that the sharp edge is pointing away from me.

Adrenaline courses through my veins as I see a figure approaching slowly from the trees. I squint my eyes to get a better look. Is that what I think it is? My vision is starting to get blurry. I don’t know what is happening but I guess that the lack of water is making me feel loopy. My head is starting to hurt and my muscles are tingling, not in a good way. What is going on?

I force myself to snap out of my pity party and focus on the figure of the young boy of about seven skipping through the trees. It seems that he has turned to look at someone behind him. A few minutes later I see what looks like to be the rest of his family catch up with him.

"Campers," I whisper to myself. Hallelujah! I am saved. I am going to be rescued!

I rack my brain to come up with a strategy to approach them without scaring or alarming their young children. They are walking towards me at a quick pace and I need to think fast. But the voices that I have been dreading to hear, break my silent contemplation.

“Excuse me, Sir. We are looking for my sister. Have you seen her by any chance? It seems that she is lost in this forest,” the voice said.

Shit, shit, shit! While I was focusing on the family I had not heard or noticed the group of boys come out from the other side of the trees. I scold myself for not paying better attention. I would need to be more careful if I want to stay alive.

“I’m sorry son. We have not seen anyone so far. We just started our camping trip yesterday. What is she doing in the forest?” the man asked.

“We were at a party playing truth or dare. A bunch of girls dared her to run into the forest and she did it. But she has a terrible sense of direction and we are trying to find her. She is wearing a black dress and is about 5ft 8 inches. If you see her could you call this number, please?”

“Sure son. That is if I get coverage in the forest,” the man said taking the paper with the phone number.

They say their good byes and head in separate directions. Once I am sure that the crazy boys are a good distance away from me, I get out of my hollow and follow the campers. If I am able to catch up with them, I can tell them the truth and beg them to help me. Maybe they will share their food and water with me. Maybe they will let me use their cell phone.

For the first time in 24 hours, a genuine smile makes it's way onto my face.