Chapter Forty-Seven

Minerva's brother and his little family arrived back in Scotland on 19 May, and the McGonagalls gathered for a family dinner the following weekend. Einar was obviously surprised to meet Albus Dumbledore there.

"It's a pleasure to see you again, Professor," he said, shaking the elder wizard's hand.

"The pleasure is mine, Mr McGonagall," Albus responded. To Katherine, he said, "Mrs McGonagall, I must say you don't look at all changed from the day you left Hogwarts. And this must be Morrigan . . ."

The eight-month-old began to cry, perhaps frightened by Albus' long beard or his high hat—or perhaps she simply didn't like his looks—and her mother said, "Oh, now . . . this is Professor Dumbledore, and he's a very nice man. I promise, he doesn't bite."

Albus withdrew from his pocket a copper Knut and pointed his wand at it, saying, "Mutatio Draconem!" The Knut became a purple plush dragon, albeit a very benign-looking one. Albus held it out to the child, who reached for it immediately. Looking at it quizzically for a few moments, Morrigan put one of the toy's ears in her mouth and started gnawing at it vigorously.

"She's teething," Katherine explained. "But I think you've won her over."

As she chewed, the child's enormous brown eyes were fixed on Albus.

Over dinner, Einar told the group about the detail he had done in Paris and the differences in the way Muggle relations were handled in France.

"They aren't nearly as zealous with Obliviation as we are," Einar said. "They only send a crew when there's been a large-scale incident. When it's just a few people, they figure the story will run its course, and most Muggles will chalk it up to a touch of barminess on the part of the witnesses. They've only got two Obliviators in their whole department."

"Fascinating," said Albus.

"I do hope you can convince our Ministry to take the same attitude," remarked Morna. "I'm quite certain there were several Muggles in Tinworth when I was growing up who were made quite funny by repeated Obliviation."

"You grew up in Tinworth, Madam MacLaughlin?" Dumbledore enquired

Morna said, "Yes, it was my mother's family's home. Although we left when I was nine and relocated to Mull to be closer to my father's mother, who was unwell."

"My father was born in Tinworth," said Albus. "Much before you were, of course," he added.

"Not so very much more, I suspect," said Morna. "In any event, I don't remember a Dumbledore family. Are they still in Tinworth?"

"No. My father was the last of his family to live there. He settled in Mould-on-the-Wold after completing his apprenticeship. He died some years ago, and my mother moved the family to Godric's Hollow."

The brief silence told Albus that the elder members of Minerva's family, anyway, knew the circumstances of Percival Dumbledore's death.

After a moment, Thorfinn asked, "Did ye know Bathilda Bagshot, the historian?"

"Yes. She was our neighbour. Still is, as a matter of fact," said Albus.

"'Tis a small world, then. I studied with her after leaving Hogwarts," said Thorfinn.

"A small world indeed," replied Albus. "She helped our mother with our early magical education."

"You have brothers and sisters, Professor?" enquired Einar.

"Just one brother, Aberforth."

Thorfinn asked, "Is he still in Godric's Hollow?"

"No. He lives in Hogsmeade now," said Albus.