Chapter Forty-Four

Thorfinn McGonagall was surprised and delighted when his daughter arrived on his doorstep.

"Why, Minerva! I didn't expect ye, but I'm awfully glad to see ye." Seeing her bag, he asked, "Are ye come to stay?"

"I thought I might for a few days, if it isn't inconvenient," she said. "My plans changed a bit, and I thought I'd take the opportunity to come see you."

He pulled her into a tight hug, saying, "And a wonderful surprise it is, too."

When she had settled her few things in her old bedroom, she went downstairs to find her father and grandmother sitting in the library enjoying a bit of elf-made wine. She was heartened to see how much better her grandmother looked than the last time she had seen her.

As they talked of this and that, Minerva's mind was only half on the conversation. The third time she didn't respond to a question her grandmother had asked, Thorfinn and Morna looked at one another in surprise. Thorfinn leant across the tea table and caught his daughter by the chin, giving it an affectionate shake.

"You're a million miles away, lass. Anything ye want to talk about?" he asked.

"What? . . . Oh, I'm sorry, Da. I guess it's just been a busy week, and I haven't quite left it behind yet. What were you asking?"

"Your grandmother was asking if you'd given any thought to what you're going to do over the summer holidays."

"Oh," Minerva said with a sheepish look at her gran. "I hadn't really thought. I suppose I can just stay at Charity's—"

"Nonsense!" cried Morna. "Thorfinn, tell her she's to come home at summer holidays."

"Of course, Minerva. We'd love ye to come back here over the summer," said Thorfinn. "Unless ye get a better offer, of course . . ." he said with a wink.

"Oh, Da," Minerva said. "Of course I'll come back here, at least for a little while. I'll probably need to think about finding a house near the school. It seems as if I'll be staying."

"Well, that's wonderful news!" said Thorfinn. "Has Dumbledore asked ye to stay on?"

Minerva had to stifle a smile. "Not in so many words, but he did say that he thought my contract would be renewed if I wanted it."

"And do you?" asked Morna.

"Yes. I've really grown to like teaching," replied Minerva.

"And what about your research?" asked Thorfinn. "Will ye be able to do any of it while you're at Hogwarts?"

"Yes, Da. The contract stipulates that I can use Hogwarts' laboratories for my own research, provided I sign a royalty-sharing agreement."

"Ye should have a solicitor look at it before ye sign away your rights," said Thorfinn.

"It's not really any different from what I had to sign at Oxford," said Minerva.

"All the same," said Thorfinn. "I can have Maxwell have a look at it when the time comes." Maxwell MacLaughlin was Minerva's mother's cousin and had acted as the family solicitor for many years.

"All right, Da, thank you," said Minerva, knowing it was easier to give in than to argue this point. Changing the subject, she said, "By the way, I'd like to ask Albus up for dinner one evening this week, if that suits you."

"Of course," said Thorfinn, throwing a sidelong glance at his mother-in-law. "Any evening ye like."

"Thank you," said Minerva, noticing the look that had passed between her father and grandmother.