Chapter Eighteen

It was decided—by Headmaster Dippet, who wanted to be shut of the whole episode—that the final duel between Minerva McGonagall and Tom Riddle would be considered a draw, the first in the history of the Inter-House Duelling Championship.

When this was announced at dinner that evening, there was a round of boos, the loudest emanating from the Gryffindor and Slytherin tables. Neither of the two duellists said much about it. Both Minerva and Tom stuck to the story Dumbledore had supplied them with, Minerva answering her housemates' enquiries in curt one- or two-word sentences, Tom with winning modesty and sincere-seeming regret over the unfortunate incident.

Dumbledore watched them both out of the corner of his eye as he chatted with Flitwick and Professor Merrythought about the unusual outcome of the match. After dinner, Albus invited Flitwick for a drink in his chambers before the latter left for London, and Flitwick readily agreed.

As they sipped their glasses of Ogden's finest, they talked of this and that, and, of course, the match. Filius remarked on the quality of the duellists he had observed during the weekend, and Albus asserted that it was rather a shame it ended as it had.

There was a brief silence before Filius said, "It was good of you to cover for the boy, Albus. But it makes me wonder, were you the one who taught him Legilimency?"

It was a tribute to their long friendship that there was no judgment or accusation in his voice.

"Legilimency?"

Filius chuckled. "Come now, Albus. I may not be a Legilimens, but I've seen it done. The fact that you were the one to stop things just confirmed what I was beginning to suspect at the time."

Albus sighed. "I didn't teach him, no. He claims to have learnt it from books."

"Books alone? Preposterous," said Flitwick.

"Perhaps. Although he is an extraordinarily talented and intelligent young man. He admitted to practicing on the Muggle children he lives with during summers."

Flitwick pursed his face in distaste. "Gods! I can't even guess how many years in Azkaban that would get him. Does the boy know what a big favour you did him?"

"I daresay he does. Although I suspect he doesn't appreciate being in my debt," Albus told Flitwick, who frowned at the statement.

"What do you mean?"

"Tom Riddle and I are not on good terms. He is aware of my mistrust of him."

"Mistrust? But why?" asked Flitwick.

"I believe he is becoming enamoured of the Dark Arts. I am afraid he's heading down the same path as another brilliant young man of my acquaintance did."

The statement was greeted with a moment of silence from Flitwick.

"But he's just a boy," he said finally.

"Yes. But I believe him to be a dangerous boy. I have suspicions about some of his more nefarious activities, but no proof."

"Such as?"

"I shan't repeat them, Filius. Not without evidence. Let us just say that I intend to keep a close eye on young Tom Riddle," said Albus.

"If you believe him to be dangerous, why did you protect him today? Why not let the Ministry have at him?"

Albus took a minute before answering his friend's question without looking directly at him. "It was not Tom Riddle I was protecting."

"Miss McGonagall?"

Albus nodded.

Filius considered the possible implications for a moment, then chose his question carefully, "Why would the boy want to use Legilimency on her?"