Chapter Thirty-Five

In future years, Minerva would reflect that if her life were written as Renaissance drama—or Restoration comedy, as she might have preferred it—the spring of 1957 would be placed firmly at the beginning of the third act, for it was then that her destiny became irrevocably entwined with Albus Dumbledore's.

She could not pinpoint the precise moment, but she thought it might well have been the afternoon they spent reviewing Albus’s N.E.W.T. students together, putting the seventh-years, who were a mere twelve weeks from sitting their exams, through their paces. The purpose was to sort out who was on track and who needed extra help to have a hope of passing the challenging exam.

At the end of the two-hour period, Albus and Minerva sat together at the large desk in the Transfiguration classroom discussing which students needed help in what areas.

"Of the lot, I'd say Miss Belby's in the worst shape," said Minerva. "She doesn't have a natural gift for Transfiguration, and she lacks the ability to focus intensely enough to make up for it."

"I agree," Albus said.

"Do you think she'd benefit from some extra coaching, or is it a lost cause?"

"Oh, I never think any student is a lost cause," he answered. "Even if she doesn't manage to pass her N.E.W.T., a little extra help will only improve her skills."

"Very well," said Minerva. "I'll mark her down for an extra hour twice a week; do you think that will do?"

"Yes, thank you, my dear. If I might offer a suggestion . . ."

"Of course. I'd be glad of your advice."

"Spend a week or two just going over the spells she has difficulty with; then, if she's made some progress, introduce some distractions—whatever you think appropriate—and drill her on everything, from the basics to the advanced spell work."

"All right, I will, thank you." Looking again at her notes, she said, "What about Mr Robards? You've said he started the year near the top of the class, but now he can't seem to manage even simple cross-species Transfigurations."

"Yes," said Albus, stroking his beard, "it's very strange. I'm not sure what's going on there, so it's hard to say if he would benefit from extra tutoring."

"Do you think the problem might be emotional?" asked Minerva, remembering her own sudden difficulties the week Albus had disappeared to care for his injured brother.

"It is certainly possible. I do hate to pry into an older student's personal affairs, but I should be very sad if Gawain failed his N.E.W.T. due to an emotional upset. He hopes to join the Auror office."

"Maybe you can ask Diophantus to have a word with him. As his Head of House, he should know the boy best. Perhaps he just needs a sympathetic ear."

"That is a fine idea, Minerva."

"Either way, I'll mark him down for extra lessons—maybe just one hour per week? If he's already troubled, I'd hate to overburden him with extra work or make him more nervous about his exams."

"Yes, do. And I'll speak to Diophantus this evening."

They ran quickly through the remainder of the list, identifying an additional three students who needed extra help and whom Minerva would tutor.

As she closed her notebook, Albus said, "I do appreciate your giving up your free periods, not to mention your Saturday afternoons."

"Nonsense. It's my job, and it's only because you kept your O.W.L. and N.E.W.T. classes that I even have extra free periods. Besides, I'll be teaching the N.E.W.T. students next year, so it's to my benefit to work with some this year. Oh . . . that is, if . . ." She trailed off, embarrassed to have made the assumption that she would be teaching at Hogwarts the following year.