Chapter Five

"I think we've covered the theory enough for the present," said Professor Dumbledore. Over the course of the week, their lessons had progressed through discussions of how Animagus transformation occurred, what determined the form it would take, and the various rules and regulations governing those who undertook it. "I think perhaps it's time to begin some practical exercises," he told her.

"Really? That would be wonderful!" exclaimed Minerva. As much as she had loved discussing—and occasionally debating—Transfiguration theory with Professor Dumbledore, she was anxious to move on to the next phase of her studies.

He chuckled at her enthusiasm. "Don't be too excited, my dear. The first exercises are very basic, although I expect you might find them somewhat challenging," he said.

She frowned. "Why do you think they will be particularly difficult for me?" she asked. Was he losing faith in her abilities?

"Forgive me, Minerva. No insult was intended. I only think you may find them difficult because they require that you first empty your mind of conscious thought. And I suspect you are unaccustomed to the feeling of an empty head, as it were," he said.

She smiled at the indirect compliment. "I see. Well, I shall endeavour to do my best, Professor," she said. "Will we begin with one of the exercises from Professor Falco's book?"

"No. I thought we could start with something of my own devising," he answered. "That is, if it is all right with you, my dear," he added.

"Of course, sir. What should I do?"

"First, I would like you to make sure you are completely comfortable and at ease. Any physical tension will inhibit your ability to focus. You need to release it. Can you do that?"

"I think so."

"Good. Are you comfortable sitting where you are?" She nodded. "All right. You may leave your hands in your lap. Now, close your eyes and try to empty your mind. Concentrate on nothing but the sound of my voice."

He began to hum quietly. After a few minutes, he stopped and said, "You may open your eyes now, Minerva. So, how did that feel? Were you able to empty your mind?"

"A bit," she answered hesitantly. "It was hard to keep thoughts from intruding."

"Indeed, it is. What kind of thoughts, if you don't mind my asking?" he enquired.

"Well, when I tried just to concentrate on your voice as you instructed, sometimes fragments of music would come into my mind."

"Ah, yes. That is a drawback of the particular method I was trying to employ," he said. "It's hard for me not to slip into humming a Bach cantata," he said, his eyes smiling at her.

She laughed. "The music I thought of was more along the lines of old songs and lullabies my gran used to sing to me," she said. She dropped her eyes, suddenly self-conscious at sharing such childish personal remembrances with him.

"Really? I should like to hear them sometime," he said. He immediately chid himself for his forwardness. He was courtly out of habit, with both male and female, old and young, and his words had come naturally. However, he realised, under the current circumstances—alone with an attractive young woman—they might be interpreted as true flirtation.

He immediately turned his conversation back to their task. "Shall we try again? This time I will confine myself to humming only two notes."

They repeated the exercise twice more, with Minerva reporting only slightly greater success at clearing her mind. "I'm sorry," she said dejectedly. "I don't know why I'm having such trouble with this."