Friendly Date

"What are you going to wear?" Zoe asked me. She was sitting on my hotel bed, flicking through the pages of a magazine she brought along with her from California. Apparently, a five seasons old CosmoGirl is still fascinating her.

   I shrugged. I was standing at the small closet the hotel room provided that held all my dresses, blouses, and anything that wasn't supposed to be folded or shoved into the drawers. I ran my hand along the many fabrics of my wide variation of dresses. Most of them were blue, since it's my favorite color. I probably have every type of blue-colored dress in there. Ever since I was in my early teens, I grew a love for dresses, but I didn't start buying and wearing them until probably my high school years. I guess I didn't feel like I was good enough to wear such beautiful dresses, but I always looked at them in the stores or online.

    I pulled out a baby blue, sleeveless, cut out dress. The skirt was lightly pleated, and the bodice was supposed to hug your upper body. The dinner was at six--yes, dinner. Harry had texted me two hours earlier to let me know--and the dress looked too daytimey. I only wore that dress once, and that was to a friend's birthday party lunch. So I hung it neatly back inside, tucking the skirt between two other dresses so it didn't look messy.

    A dark blue, sheer fabric caught my eye--but then I remembered that it was the cocktail party dress I had bought a few years back to wear to a costume party. It was a sort of mistress dress with a navy blue fabric skirt and it tied around your neck. There was a large gap inbetween the sheer straps; that was were the white corset was. The dress was tied with a silver belt. I don't really know why I still had it; I only wore it that one time. Perhaps I could donate it? I'd give it to Zoe, but knowing her, the only things she'll ever take from me is my money and shirts. Gosh, I love that girl. Cue sarcasm.

    After hanging that one back--and making a mental note to donate it or reconstruct it into a new dress--I plucked three more dresses out to compare, and all of them were blue. I guess the dress I'm wearing the this friendly date will have to be blue either way.

    The first one was a royal blue dress with about two inch straps. Like the previous dress, the bodice was supposed to hug my upper body and the skirt was very lightly pleated. I bought it because it had a heart cut out on the back, which was so the trend then. Remembering that, I also wore this dress several times. To be honest, it was one of my favorites, but it was worn too many times to be qualified to be worn again on a date with Harry. Bye bye, royal blue dress.

    The second was another royal blue dress with sheer layers and an asymmetrical skirt. Zoe bought me this dress for my birthday last year. It came with a gold-silver belt that I often reused to wear with jeans and other dresses. That was a possible choice, but then it was too overused--the asymmetrical skirt and all--nowadays. So that was a goner, too.

    Zoe jumped off the bed and came by my side. She pointed to the dress she bought me that I'd hung on the door knob for now. "Hey, I bought you that!"

    I nodded and smiled. "Yeah, for my birthday last year. I'm choosing which dress to wear for the dinner, but I can't find one yet. I'm still looking."

    Zoe's eyebrow shot up. "Why won't you wear that dress?" she asked, pointing to my birthday dress.

    I sighed. "Zoe, that style is way too overused these days. So many girls wear the whole high-low skirt now, and it's getting old. I'd still wear it, but not to dinner with Harry." I told her. Then I added, "And if you weren't reading a magazine that had last fall's trends, then maybe you'll know what the trend right now is."

    She rolled her eyes and snorted, but I just laughed. The corner of her lip pulled up and she left the room, shaking her head and stifling a laugh. I shook my head again, chuckling under my breath.