Chapter 25

In seven days a world can be created

In seven words a heart can be broken

In seven minutes you can stop the universe or you can just jump off

In seven seconds, everything can change

~

The sound of my frenzied heartbeat pumped through my ears blocking out all other sounds as i flew through the bush, bursting into the clearing and skidding to a halt. My body froze and the air disappeared from around us. My lungs burned and the hot tears cascading down my cheeks burnt wet tracks down the scratched skin.

Suddenly there was silence, as the world around us ceased to exist. Together they flew through the air, their bodies arcing with an un-natural grace. I lurched forward, falling painlessly to my knees, my mouth opening in a silent scream. They hung for a second, suspended in the open air before disappearing from sight over the edge of the quarry.

In seven minutes you can stop the universe of just jump off

In seven seconds, everything can change.

~

Seven Days Ago.

Dez’s POV

I stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around my waist, wiping the fogged mirror with my hand until it was slightly clearer. Leaning down i grab my tooth brush and ran it quickly over my teeth, my eyes focuses on the ink that stretched over my shoulder, moving and twisting as my muscles tensed and relaxed beneath it.

Spitting the toothpaste into the bowl i turned on the tap and watched it wash away, wondering not for the first time, what i had been thinking?

Walking back into my room i looked down at the picture on my bed side table. The picture of me and Silver at the beach, the picture Silver had thrown away and the picture Eliza had returned to me. The glass was still shattered and i had resolved not to fix it until i fixed the mess i had already created. Call me what you will, but i believed in symbolism.

Pulling on a pair of black shorts i flopped back on my bed, staring up at the ceiling. It had been so easy for Aaron to write me a list of ways to destroy my relationship with Silver, so why couldn’t I, who knew her better than anyone, just write one to fix it?

I missed her more than anything; it was almost a physical ache. But i deserved it, thinking about how she must have felt...

With a groan i sat up and shook my head, trying to clear it of all thoughts. Thinking about what i had done just made me feel worse, if that was possible, but it wasn’t helping my situation.

Pacing my room i set my shoulders, determined that i would not leave this room, no matter how long it took, until I had a way of fixing what i had done.

 I wasn’t a fool, i knew that we would probably never be what we once were again, and if the best thing for her was honestly for me to leave her alone for good, i would do that. But the truth was, i didn’t believe that was what she wanted, or maybe it was that i couldn’t bring myself to believe it. Either way, i wasn’t leaving this room until i had it sorted out in my own head.

I don’t know how long i lay there, but the next time i looked out the window the sky was turning from a vibrant blue to a darker shade, the sun hovering just above the horizon, hazy lines drifting through the sky. Without thinking i pushed myself off the bed, shoved my feet into a pair of runners and grabbed a shirt, running from the room.

I jogged down the hallway, my eyes glued on the sky outside, trying to guess what time it was. I knew i was being stupid, i didn’t have a plan, i didn’t know what i was going to say, but i did know that at this time ever night Silver went for a run. It was something she had always done. And even though i knew there was next to no chance of her stopping the hear me out, i had the sudden need to try, to do something other than sit back and watch any longer.