2 years in Italy - Part 4-6

Chapter 4.

Slowly I heard the music fade as the next song flicked on to take its place. I blinked hurriedly, trying to focus my eyes, angrily swiping away the remaining wetness that was still present on my cheeks. Jumping to my feet I stumbled into the bathroom and wiped away the condensation on the mirror, examining the damage to my face. My eye lashes were stuck together, black streaks adorning my cheeks where my eyeliner had run and my cheeks were flushed. Shaking my head I sighed and reached for my makeup remover, berating myself relentlessly.

Jase was that last person I should be thinking about today. Peering into the mirror I began to re-apply my makeup, this time feeling the need to add extra eyeliner and mascara.

Finished, I walked back into my room, picking up my folder as I checked to make sure I had everything I need. I picked up my phone and automatically flicked it open, opening a new message to Des without even thinking. I was about to start texting him when I paused. Normally, whenever I have a Jason moment, I call or text Dez straightaway.

In my head I've always pictured it as walking along a really long tunnel brightly lit tunnel. But whenever I think about Jase, all the lights go out and I can't keep going because I don't know the way anymore. But then I call Dez and he somehow miraculously flicks all the light back on.

"Unfortunately though" I muttered to myself as I flipped my phone closed, "Des now lives thousands of miles away and I need to find myself a new analogy".

Taking a deep breathe I checked the mirror once more, checking that all signs of my earlier breakdown were no longer apparent.

Happy with my appearance, I plastered a confident smirk across my face and stepped out into the hall way. Examining my new map I made my way outside and headed to the main building on the other side of the garden that separated the dorm rooms from the school block.

Walking through the silent halls I groaned inwardly, that meant I was going to have to walk into a class full of people, who were all going to go silent and stare at me, and then I was going to have to do the awkward trying to find a seat thing with everyone watching me, whispering and judging the "new girl".

Resisting the urge to either turn and run back the other way, or thump my head really hard against the nearest wall I searched silently for room 2AB.

Turning down a new hallway I was just about to give up when I finally the door with the engraved plaque reading 2AB.

Taking a deep breathe I ran a shaky hand through my hair and knocked hesitantly on the door.

"Come in" called a dry voice.

I pushed open to door and stepped into the classroom, taking care to make sure I didn't trip and send myself flying.

"Yes?" inquired a strict looking lady, seated at the table in front of the class, she wore a crisp white blouse and a straight black skirt that fell past her knees. My initial thought was that I had never, in my whole life, seen anyone sit so straight. My second realisation was that there was absolutely no sound coming from the class.

Quickly I glanced around me to see the guy's eyes flicking up and down my body, the girls analysing what I was wearing, judging whether or not I was going to be a threat. Slowly mummers began to break out through my audience as people began to make the connections between me and the incident yesterday with the golf buggy

Glancing back at the teacher I realised she was still staring at me, waiting from an explanation, a frown starting to appear of her forehead.

"Er, I'm Silver DeClario, I'm new here".