:Chapter Twenty Three:

We sat there in an uncomfortable silence for a minute. Really, it was unnatural for us not to be speaking while in each other’s presence, but I guess that’s what happens when he sleeps with your ex best friend. I winced at the memory, and my heart started to ache all over again.

                “How have you been?” Harry asked, almost nervously.

                Before I could stop myself, I said blankly, “I think you know how I’ve been.”

                He winced this time. “Fawn, I’m so sorry. I never meant to hurt you like that – I didn’t even quite know what I was doing, to be honest.”

                Harry stopped himself from continuing, almost as if he knew he were digging himself deeper into a hole. But the truth was, this was the first time when he was apologizing to me, I actually heard the sincerity in his voice. My body ached for this boy, and I realized that I couldn’t be angry at him forever. But… did I really want to risk the hurt?

                “I believe you,” I mumbled.

                But it all seemed much at the moment. I was worn out from feeling happy, then sad, then happy, and then sad again. It was wearing me out, all these feelings, and I decided then and there that I could choose my own future, so why waste time going back and forth? I could either say no to Harry and be happy without all the heartache… but I could also say yes and be happier than I ever have.

                “Harry, do you like me?” I asked bluntly, turning to him. “Or do you like…” I motioned up and down my body. “me.”

                He looked at me like I was crazy. “Fawn. I like you for you and I have for longer than I can remember. Ever since I bumped into you in the hotel, I’ve been crazy about you, and when we were kind of together a week ago, it made me elated to see how happy I could make you. I just… I’m asking for a second chance. I won’t screw up this time.”

                And I made my decision.

                I smiled at him, and said, “Okay. A second chance. We forget about that night, okay?”

                I’ve never seen Harry Styles smile so big.

~*~

                “Pour the flour in,” I said, looking over my shoulder at Harry, who was playing with the flour inside the glass bowl. “Harry!”

                He looked up at me, and I grinned, telling him to pour it in the bowl again. He nodded and walked over to me, pouring the flour into the mixing bowl with all the liquid ingredients for these cookies. Standing next to me, he dropped the mixers in the bowl and turned on it on high.

                “No!” I yelped, and then everything turned to chaos.

                The cookie dough flung everywhere instantly. We both yelped again in surprise, and it started to fly all over the walls and over our bodies as we ducked, not knowing what to do. Finally, once my body was coated in cookie dough to match the cabinets and floor, I finally slowly got up and reached over to unplug the mixer.

                Instantly, Harry got up, and we just started laughing. “You-you look so funny!”

                He grinned at me, and then slid his arms around my waist and licked my cheek. My eyes widened in surprise, but I just kept laughing at him, at me, at us. We were standing in the middle of this mess of a kitchen and I knew that we’d have to clean it up soon, but I just didn’t even care.