Chapter 9 - Nova

He's suffering. I can tell. That makes me feel great.

I can see it in his eyes that he won't duel me. He's probably afraid to hurt me because I'm his "friend." If I was his friend, he wouldn't have broken his promises to me. He would've put up a fight rather than running away from the mess he made. I bet he blames himself too. Then good. He should.

And I saw him with that Signer girl during his duel with Roman. The way he looked at her, it was with adoration. That was how he looked at me a week ago. He kept trying to push her away. In that case, I can relate. He's pushed so many people out of his sorry little life, and she's not going to be different. It's like a punch in the stomach every time I think about how Yusei iced me out when we were part of the Enforcers. "Best friend," my ass.

Being completely honest, wanting to see his face when I kissed Kalin may have been some sort of jealousy that doesn't exist anymore. He hurt me, so I'll hurt him. I don't care if it's physical or emotional. I'd prefer both.

"Nova, I won't duel you," Yusei says, gripping the handles on his runner fighter.

"Well, I've brought forth the seal, Yusei. There's no way out," I tell him.

"I'm," he stammers, "I'm not going to duel someone I love!" He falls off his bike onto his knees, his fingertips digging into the dirt.

"Oh, boo hoo. Save it, liar!" I snap. "If you cared, you wouldn't have gone behind my back and gone back to Kalin after you promised me you wouldn't! You wouldn't have locked me out after you let me in! You care SO MUCH, don't you?"

"I do! And that's why I can't duel you!" he shouts, the pain in his voice coming from the depths of his soul. It's beautiful.

"Jesus Christ, just man up and duel, Yusei!"

"No! I know you're in there somewhere, Nova! You'd never go bad! Your heart's too pure! And I'm not going to send the girl I somehow managed to fall in love with to the Netherworld!"

He went there. That little bastard. "Bullshit, Yusei! Bull! Shit!" I scream. "You honestly think saying you love me is going to change anything? It won't! This is who I am, and you made me that way! So, why don't you grow a pair and DUEL!"

I watch him reluctantly get back on his runner, set Speed World, and I know he's speeding behind me as I take off. I can see the pain on his face and it's sweeter than honey.

Yusei's Turn — LP: 4000 — SPC: 1
He draws his card. When I turn around, I can sort of see his face. On the surface, he looks cool and collected, but I know he's losing his shit on the inside.
"I'm summoning Max Warrior (LV: 4, ATK: 1800, DEF: 800) to the field in attack mode, and placing three cards facedown. That ends my turn."

Nova's Turn — LP: 4000 — SPC: 1
"My God, you're pathetic. You're really using the same lame cards from high school? Oh, wait. We didn't go to school. You were too busy being a dick." He grimaces, and I smile. "I'm summoning the Dark Tuner, Scylla's Soldier (LV: 2, ATK: 200, DEF: 200) to the field in attack mode! And now, I'll tune him with my mer girl to bring forth a new friend! When the shadows are devoured by even darker shadows, the curtain pulls back and reveals...a world without light! Come forth, Scylla the Sea Terror (LV: 6, ATK: 2500, DEF: 1900)! Now, I'll activate her effect: depending on the number of Water attribute monsters I have in my hand, I get to destroy that many of your face downs. I happen to be holding two, so kiss two of your face downs goodbye! Let's leave the center one and yeet the other two. Now, Scylla, attack Max Warrior with Six Head Strike! That ends my turn."

Yusei's Turn — LP: 3300 — SPC: 2
"Come on, Nova! Wake up!" he shouts, drawing a card. Part of me wants to go back to him, until I remember why I became a Dark Signer in the first place: to crush him.
"I summon Level Eater (LV: 1, ATK: 600, DEF: 0) to the field in defense mode! I'm also activating the Speed Spell, Angel Baton, meaning I get to draw two cards, as long as I discard one! I'll then discard another card to special summon Quickdraw Synchron (LV: 5, ATK: 700, DEF: 1400), and now that I have a tuner on my side of the field, I can special summon Qullbolt Hedgehog from my graveyard (LV: 2, ATK: DEF:)! Now, I'll tune my Quickdraw Synchron with Level Eater and Quillbolt Hedgehog and Synchro Summon...Stardust Dragon (LV: 8, ATK: 2500, DEF: 2000)!" A blinding light shines as Stardust Dragon streaks through the sky. "Let's rev it up!"