13

WHEN SHE OPENED her eyes, all she saw was a blanket of white adorning the trees above.

Snow, why was there snow?

Octavia sat up , her eyes wandering around before landing on a male, sleeping, against a tree.

"Alix?" She hissed, watching as he sat up with a startle.

"Shit," he muttered, watching as she drew a knife and held it on her thigh.

"Why am I here- where is Chole? Hahna?" She spat, watching Alixs' every move.

"I don't know- listen, Octavia. I saved your life-"

She cut him off with a scoff.

"You saved my life? Are you dumb? I killed that guy, I killed another person because you aren't skilled enough," she stopped, watching as Alix sunk his head.

"I guess it turned into you protecting me," he smiled slightly, standing and offering a hand to the younger brunette.

"We should probably find food," he stated, hoisting her to her feet.

"Why is there snow?" Octavia disregarded his question, walking side by side with her district partner.

"The islands are set up differently, one is like a desert, and this one is snow. Those are the only ones I have been to," Alix spoke lowly, walking alongside Octavia. She swung her arms, humming quietly.

She still was hauling a smaller knapsack, her eyes still sensitive to the brightness of the snow and heavy sun that still beat down on them.

"The one I was at was just as it looked," Octavia was annoyed, and frustrated, and her head still pounded profusely.

"We need to find Hahna and Chole," she said when he didn't respond.

Octavia had been worrying over her alliance since she'd woke up- and Alix tried to ignore the annoyance that was building over her constant worry for them- and not him.

"Yeah," he muttered, his voice barely a mumble.

The younger teen looked over to her district partner, noticing his grimace, and the way his dark eyes stared hard, and unforgiving ahead of them.

She never fully truste him to begin with, and she wasnt about to start now.

"If we can wipe out the remaining tributes, then it isn't-" she paused.

Whispering, she continued, "their choice who lives or dies."

Alix begged to differ- if it came down to it he would slaughter the lot of them, but he couldnt have Octavia thinking that so he just smiled and nodded.

-

Hahna knew her act was up- she knew that Chole no longer trusted her and she knew that now that Octavias canon had rang, that it was time for her to get rid of him.

It was a shame, she'd grown fond of the scrawny boy who'd fell for her. Her loyalties lied with herself, though. Not even Breck, who she could say she fancied, but her feelings didn't go any further than that since he had, well, died within the first two nights.

"I- I need to rest," she panted, fake of course. She could've kept going another mile or two, but she was sick of playing a much outdated role.

Chole nodded, putting a warm hand on her waist and guiding her against a tree to rest.

Hahna let out a loud, obnoxious laugh when he leaned into peck her lips.

He smirked down at her, utterly confused at her actions but thought nothing of it.

"What?" Chole chuckled, but his face went ghostly pale when she pulled a dagger from her belt.

"You were quite fun to toy with," Hahna began, watching as the boy bscked away, raising his hands.

"You- you-" she cut him off.

"You didn't love me?" A fake pout graced her lips, and she laughed.

"I did what I had to do, sweetie," she mumbled, watching a lone tear run down Choles face.

And then, she hurled the knife into his abdomen and watched as he fell to the ground.

-

Octavia had been talking endlessly for about an hour, now.

Alix, although patient, was about ready to tell her to shut the hell up and get over it when he heard something, or someone.

"Octavia, shut up," he said, low and serious. She gave him a weird look, rolling her eyes.

"You s-"

He thrust his thumb to the side, and when Octavia found what he was looking at her eyes widened considerably.

"You were quite fun to toy with."

Octavia knew that voice all too well, and she was bewildered as to why she was talking to her lover that way- when she realized.

"No," she muttered, beginning to run to help the boy from nine.

"No, no- Octavia," Alix warned, grabbing her by the waist and upper arm. Her back was taught against his chest, and she didn't know how to make him understand that Hahna was not merciful.

That was when she watched as the red head threw a knife into Choles stomach- and Octavia lost it.

She thrust her elbow back into Alixs' chest, hearing as he collapsed with a choked sound.

She didn't hesitate- not even for a second, before she threw the small dagger Alix had given her earlier.

It was embedded in Hahnas back, near her left shoulder blade.

She would suffer, oh Octavia would make sure of it.

"CHOLE!" she screamed, running towards the boy.

"Chole-" her cries were loud and panicky, so intense that even she couldnt handle it.

Octavia ripped off a piece of Choles shirt, before she ripped the knife from his abdomen and applied the fabric.

"I'm sorry, I should've known-" she said, her eyes red and snot running down her nose.

"I- know, you shouldn't have," a cough, consisting of blood, "I should've realized that love is not kind, like she made it seem."

Choles blue, stormy eyes connected with hers, desperate and cold.

"You can't trust anyone- n-not him, o-only yourself, Octavia. You need t-to w-win."

Those were Chole Petersins last words.

And Octavia, she was livid.

-

written 5/7