Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Since Travis decided to take first watch, it would only seem fair if Connor would take second. During some time, however, Connor shook me awake from my dreamless state.

"Is it my watch now?" I asked in a heavy voice as I sat up.

Connor blinked for a moment just looking at me before he nodded. "It's four in the morning. I stayed up an extra hour."

It was my turn to blink at him. I admired how green his eyes looked like in the dark blue hue in the ceilings and the way his jaw line tightened when he spoke. "What? Why?"

He shrugged. "You looked like you were having a good sleep."

My heart was beating fast enough that it seemed like it was trying to beat Usian Bolt in a race. "You were looking at me sleep?" I managed to place a slight frown on my face.

"What?! No! I was just...just keeping watch." He reasoned, which I decided was the cutest thing next to puppies dressed in little costumes.

I smirked, knowing I caught him red-handed. "Okay. You can go to sleep now."

Connor rolled his eyes. "Don't get ahead of yourself, Bels. I was seriously on the lookout."

Bels. That was fairly new -and I actually liked the sound of it when he said it. "Okay, Connie, time to go to bed." I teased.

He flushed a bright pink. "Don't call me Connie. That's a girl's name."

I smirked deviously. "Exactly."

He playfully pushed me, which was a successful one because I almost fell onto Travis. "Shh!" I scolded, putting a finger on my lips.

"Just don't call me Connie, Bel-Bel." Connor smirked. I thanked the gods it was dark so he couldn't see the mad blush I was sporting.

"Shut up and go to sleep." I rolled my eyes.

"No goodnight kiss?" Connor asked.

"No." I said emotionless, but of course -smiling on the inside. This was stupid.

"No goodnight hug?"

"No." He was stupid.

"Aw, not even a goodnight?"

"Good. Night." I growled with a scowl on my face. I couldn't help it, alright?

When he saw my scowl, Connor grinned and attacked me with a bear hug, much to my surprise that fed my inner fangirl (who was definitely fangirl-ing). "That was the sweetest thing you've ever said to me, Bels!"

He obviously meant that in the most friendly (albeit we were 'frenemies) way possible. It didn't occur to the both of us that we've never been properly hugged by the opposite gender before, and that we would thoroughly enjoy it. A lot.

It felt warm and safe -it was warm and safe in Connor Stoll's arms.

We hugged for a few more moments before I let go. We both smiled sheepishly at each other before Connor settled in his sleeping bag.

"Goodnight, Bella."

"Goodnight, Connie."

~

During my watch, I thought about a lot of things. I thought of all the possible reasons I could be here, on this quest. Why did Hermes choose me, out of all the people to choose from? I thought about the dreams I've been having about Connor. Did my mom have something to do with this? All these thoughts were spiralling down as I stared at the black wall in front of me. In fact, I was so engrossed in my thoughts that I didn't notice the entire room slowly lighting up. I took out Travis' pocket watch and saw that it was already six o'clock.