Chapter Six

You know that feeling you get when you ride a rollercoaster and you're at the very top and suddenly the entire thing just falls down? That's how I felt battling the monster. I didn't even know what to call it. Before we left, Chiron brushed me up on monsters of Greek mythology and not once have I ever read about something like this.

I was busy with all the arrows I could get, trying to get them into its mouth but it did no good. Connor and Travis were shooting powdered fire into its mouth but it didn't do anything, either. I was trying to get around the monster but somehow, there was a magic border that separated us from going any further.

What's worse is that the monster barely did anything. At all. It just stood there and mimicked our actions. Whenever we threw something at it, it slashed its tail towards us.

"Bella, it's not doing anything! It's not even fighting us!" Travis shouted, hanging off the monster's scaly back, trying to stab his way into the monster's throat.

I came to a sudden realization about something. The answer has been here all along. I looked at Connor, who looked determined to get this over with. "Connor, stop fighting it! Travis, get down!" I shouted.

Travis, not knowing any other option, followed my orders and jumped down from the monster. We all stood in a straight line, looking at it. It looked at us. There was silence resounding around the entire room.

"This monster is from Morpheus' thoughts. It isn't alive. We have to manipulate our way through this maze." I answered.

Connor looked at me like I was the best thing in the world. "That makes a lot of sense, Bella."

I kind of liked it how he said my name. I didn't like it how the monster stared at us with its black eyes doing nothing.

"The problem is, how do we manipulate this maze?" Travis asked.

"Good question. It's impossible to get past this monster without getting rid of it. We have to think of something." I replied.

"Guys, I think I know the answer. It might sound stupid, but I think it's the answer." Connor exclaimed.

"What?" Travis and I asked. Meanwhile, I looked over to the monster to see what it was doing. Surprisingly, it was still standing. Staring at nothing, like it did that every single day.

"We have to poison ourselves. The monster mimics our actions. What we'll do, it'll do. The only way is poison." Connor said.

"What? How on earth do we get away with poisoning ourselves?!" Travis asked.

I understood Connor's plan. "Just watch, Travis."

Connor took out four gummy worms. One for him, one for me, one for Travis and one for the monster. He took out his secret weapon -powdered poison, which was a gift from Mr. D himself. Trust me, we were surprised, too.

He sprinkled the poison over the one isolated gummy bear and tossed it towards the monster. "Ready, guys?" Connor asked, picking up his gummy worm.

"Ready as we'll ever be." I replied.

We all picked up our gummy worms, and much to out freaking surprise -the monster grew legs and feet. It looked like a reptile and a bull morphed into one now. It picked up it's gummy worm.

"On the count of 3, guys," Connor warned, eyeing the gigantic monster. "1...2...3."

We all chewed on our gummy worms and Travis made the effort to gulp down on it really loud. The monster did the same. At first, nothing really happened. I thought we failed. Then, the monster started to fade slowly. It didn't turn into dust, like the monsters in real life. It just faded slowly, like it was in a video game. Like it never existed.