Chapter Four

Chapter Four

"W-what?" I asked, complete off guard. Artemis wanted me to join the Hunt? Was she reading my thoughts earlier when I had thought that the Hunters were amazing?

"Our lady Artemis invites you to join the Hunt. That is, if you succeed in your quest. We're not forcing you or anything, Bella. But Connor says you're pretty good with the bow and arrow, so that concludes it." Thalia explained with a smile on her face.

I was dumbfounded. They wanted me. A child of Aphrodite. And it hit me -what would my mother say? She would frown upon this matter for sure.

"Uh...I'm flattered and all, but don't you think that my mom would...uh...you know..." I trailed off.

Thalia laughed. "Oh, yeah. Your mom's going to make a big deal out of this. But don't worry. We've had some instances before. Artemis accepts anyone who is willing to, even mortals. Think about it, will you, Bella?"

I nodded my head. "I will. Uh...thanks, Thalia."

"Don't thank me. Remember, Bella, you get to be immortal. You get to serve one of the most amazing goddess. And you swear off boys -that's the best part." Thalia said.

I walked away. I was being asked if I wanted to be immortal. Hunting with girls who were just like me -girls who didn't care about their appearance, girls who would rather chase off a monster in the woods than do their hair and makeup.

I walked back in Phoebe's tent. Phoebe looked at me all excitedly. "So?" she asked, her big eyes grew even wider.

"I'll think about it. I mean, it's a lot to take in." I said quietly.

Phoebe looked a bit disappointed, but I thought she'd get over it tomorrow morning. I layed on my side and stared out to the open sky. I thought about the recent dreams I've been having -all that involved Connor. I'm sure that meant something...the Fates wouldn't have given me dreams if they were a bunch of nothingness.

I slept. And for the first time in three days, my mother didn't speak to me at all.

* * * * * * * * * *

Voices around me were chattering and talking. Some were laughing and joking. My eyes fluttered open as I took in my surroundings. Then I remembered what happened last night -I have been invited to join the Hunt. So it hadn't been a dream.

"Wow, look at you, beauty queen." Phoebe joked.

"Don't get started on my hair, Phoebs," I said, rubbing my eyes. "I know I look like a mess."

Phoebe laughed. "You look nothing like a mess. You wake up beautiful, right?" she asked, confused.

I raised an eyebrow. "I am nothing near beautiful so please refrain from making comments about my nest of hair."

Phoebe was about to say something when a conch blew outside. "Come on, it's time for breakfast." she said, taking my hand and leading me outside. I squinted, it was bright outside.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"It's seven thirty." a voice behind me answered.

It was Connor. Surprisingly, he looked hot when he had just woken up. His wavy hair gleamed in the light and he flashed me a toothy grin. I had to hide a blush as I looked away. "Where's Travis?" I asked.

"On his way."

"Oh." was all I could muster up. I couldn't help but notice that Connor was standing nearer to me than usual. Was he afraid of the Hunters?

"Eat up!" Thalia announced as she handed out plates of eggs, bacon, and toast. The typical American breakfast. I wonder who cooked all these.

After sacrificing a part of our meal to the gods, Thalia came up to me again. "Remember our offer, Bella. You won't regret it if you join." she said, then heading back into her tent.